Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Old Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phil7

phil7

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:44 PM

I have a HP Pavillion 6350 computer.
I would like to know if I can install a new motherboard and processor, and still use my original software and Operating System, memory, etc. I have the original disks to re-install all the software that came with the computer. I have a laptop with XP Home as my main computer. I am just looking for prcoessing speed and maybe installing a DVD-RW drive to archive my home videos.
I realize I would have to get a Sound/Video card to accomplish this also. Is this practical or a waste of time and $?
Here are my specs:

Operating System Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)
Processor 333 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
Main Circuit Board: Asus SPAX 1.01
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 6.00 07/08/98
158 Megabytes Installed Memory
20.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
6.22 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

E-IDE CD-ROM 50X L
YAMAHA CRW2100E [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (20.01 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver
IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] -- drive 255, rev C.22

Controllers Display
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
QuickiDrive Device [Controller]
QuickiDrive Drive [Controller]
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

SiS 5597/5598 [Display adapter]
(Unknown Monitor)

Bus Adapters
Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller
Iomega Parallel Port Interface (Device)
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

Thanks for the help.
Phil
Iíve learned two things in life: One, there is a God; Two, Iím not Him!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:06 PM

Your pc there is even slower CPU speed than my old pc! Infact I use a HP laptop too with Xp as my nicer pc. It has 1.7ghz my old pc has 350mhz........

Just my opinion its prob a waste of time. Now I thought to that I might add a new CPU and MB but I just want a new custom pc. I plan to add a really fast CPU and MB plus a big HD. But then I would need a new case to make it look good and a cdrw drive or dvdr.

I think in my case its just not worth the effort but we all have our opinions. Its up to you but if you can get a good MB and CPu cheap go for it as long as everything will work together.

#3 phil7

phil7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the input CGM, Maybe I'm slow, but, can I use tall the software that originally came with the PC? This obviously would be the main factor, then the other stuff.
Phil

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:22 PM

I would have to agree with CGM3 on this one. Because since your already looking to buy a System-board, Processor, Sound Card, Video Card, DVD-RW Drive.

I would get/build a new one because that Particular Pavilion is a Proprietary system. (the board is built for the case) its not always Easy to get one small enough, with the type of processor you want.

BTW You'll need a new HD VERY soon if your gunna be doing Video's
right now bestbuy.com has a GREAT offer on a 250GIG HD for just over $100 after $50 Rebate (I bought 2 last night)

About the software you can remove the HD you have in the computer now and put it in the new one. but you might want to upgrade to XP if this is the case alot of the software that came with that computer might not run under Windows XP

Edited by LoLucky, 15 December 2004 - 02:30 PM.

#5 phil7

phil7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:32 PM

Thanks LoLucky!! I just hate giving up W98 because I have some Programs which won't run on XP. Plus they are no longer being supported. Also over theyears I've sunk some bucks into this. I can't justify the $ unless it will benefit me in the long haul, I think I'll just keep it as a WP and Web Browser along with burning CDs.

Iguess I'll go big time to do DVDs.

Phil

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:27 PM

I have to agree with everyone on this question.

Lets say that you do find a mobo/CPU, RAM, HD, DVD RW, video card, and sound card to upgrade this system. You have nearly all the parts for a new system: just the case, and OS.

Personally, if you are not going to out-tweak the new computer much, you can go with a pre-built system and re-use your keyboard, mouse, and monitor. You could then link both of the computers together via a KVM switch, and you will have the best of both worlds :thumbsup: A KVM switch allows 2 computers to share a Keyboard Video(monitor) and Mouse. The last time I checked you can get a decent one for under $70
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 phil7

phil7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:38 PM

OK!! I'll take everything into consideration. I don't tweak, wish I could. Have enough problems keeping 3 (2 laptops and my HP) running without probs. My girls have one laptop, my wife commandeered the other laptop ( the best and fastest ) and I'm stuck on the old workhorse!!
Well, I just found out that the girls' has a TROJAN! Yikes!! Looks like a HJT post will be coming soon.

Thanks everyone.
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users