Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Columbine Highschool Shooting Game!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

http://www.columbinegame.com/
wow, thats all i have to say is wow.

the maker claims this game is to delve into the thoughts and ideas that may have led to the shooting and as a defence he says that "The game does not glorify school shootings,If you make it far enough into the game, you see very graphic photos of Eric and Dylan lying dead. I can't think of a more effective way to confront their actions and the consequences those actions had."

here is some more info taken from the artist

ARTIST'S STATEMENT:
A Meditation on Super Columbine Massacre RPG!

When I discovered a program called RPG Maker, I knew I had to achieve my childhood ambition of designing a video game. The question of what the game’s subject would be came almost instantly; a striking event from my own formative years tugged at my instincts to make the “unthinkable” game. Little did I know as I began to research the Columbine shooting on April 20th, 1999 that the subject never went away in the minds of many others, either. From Germany to Australia and all across the United States, thousands of websites devoted to providing information/criticism/critique of the incident came to my attention. The question at the center of the storm was an elusive one: “why did they do it?”

Thus far, video games have been relegated to escapist entertainment—an industry known best for little blue hedgehogs and plucky mustached plumbers bouncing about in fantasy worlds. There is little in the realm of socially conscious gaming—software that does more than merely amuse for a few idle hours. Yet while some low-selling games offer pedagogical education (in geography, math, etc.), games that genuinely challenge social taboos or confront real cultural issues are nearly non-existent. I wanted to make something that mattered; I wasn’t willing to put months of my scant free time into an easily forgotten adventure set in a mythical realm of dragons or spaceships.

I knew I had to be true to the events of the Columbine school shooting—as true as I could be while maintaining respect for the tragically deceased; it was a more delicate balance of personal morality than many of my detractors imagine I took. Since 1999 so many mistruths have been spoken and political postures have been struck in the wake of the shooting that I didn’t want to fall into the speculative pitfalls of much of the media’s coverage. The game had to be told from the perspective of the shooting’s greatest enigmas of all: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. They left behind many of their thoughts—some frightening, some deplorable, some comical, and some deeply enraged. I collected all of them and assembled them into a role-playing game aesthetically reminiscent of those I would play in my own youth. It only made sense, I thought, to make this game feel like a combination of reading, playing, and thinking.

The end result—now swarming the Internet from one download mirror to another, via personal file transfers on instant messengers and peer-to-peer programs—is a game that has been called nearly every hyperbole in the English language. Its creator, known for over a year only as the alias “Columbin,” has been described as a “genius,” a “sick human being,” a “real philosopher,” and even “the Antichrist.” The game’s success comes not from its technical accomplishments or engaging gameplay but rather the provocative polarization it elicits from audiences. One thing can be certain, though: ‘Super Columbine Massacre RPG!’ is a bit unlike anything already in the cultural canon and pushes the envelope as to what a video game can be.

The lingering question—that grand burning query so many have tried to answer—is one I believe this game allows us to at least access in a more honest way. Beyond the simple platitudes and panaceas of gun control, media ratings/censorship, bully prevention programs, and parental supervision remains a glaring possibility: that the society we have created is deeply moribund. This game asks more of its audience than rudimentary button-pushing and map navigation; it implores introspection. This is why the game’s forum is equally important to the SCMRPG project. Through it, people from six continents and all walks of life are discussing the game itself and the incident it is based on. Some of them confess childhood pain or share personal feelings on the shooting. Some of them sustain vulgar diatribes or accuse the creator of wrongdoing. Some of them discuss the game’s social implications in a broader context. At the end of the day, the understanding of the Columbine school shooting is deepened and redefined. That is the real object of the game.

Somewhere between April 20th, 1999 and September 11th, 2001, America entered into a new, terrifying, and desperate era. Citizens can no longer afford to believe the necessary illusions of modern society. In an age when hastily-formed scapegoats and false dichotomies of “good” and “evil” run rampant, SCMRPG dares us into a realm of grey morality with nuanced perspectives of suffering, vengeance, horror, and reflection. In the words of Harris’ friend Brooks Brown, there are “no easy answers” to such a socially indicting tragedy. As humanity teeters precariously on the threshold of collapse—politically, ideologically, and environmentally, the days of comatose media coverage and a subservient populace cannot remain. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, through their furious words and malevolent actions, can be understood as the canaries in the mine—foretelling of an “apocalypse soon” for those remaining to ponder their deeds. With ‘Super Columbine Massacre RPG!,’ I present to you one of the darkest days in modern history and ask, “Are we willing to look in the mirror?”

—Danny Ledonne, "Columbin"

so what does everyone think of that one.

//Mod edit to repair BB code tag//

Edited by KoanYorel, 30 September 2006 - 08:00 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:06 AM

Quote: "If you make it far enough into the game, you see very graphic photos of Eric and Dylan lying dead"

For all the horror Eric and Dylan caused , I can't imagine how their parents must feel knowing their children's bodies were being displayed in a game! Nor how the parents of the murdered students must feel!

While perhaps the game "doesn't glorify school shooting"(suspect that's open to personal opinion), it makes me feel a bit sick thinking anyone would actually want to play this 'game'. For what reason? - to get far enough to view 'real dead bodies'? Always thought games = fun ... dead bodies/dead children doesn't equal fun.

While I could be wrong, I suspect the creator's many words of why the game was created could be self-delusion ... personally, I suspect he created it for one reason - money.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

My wifes nephew was one of the first students shot that day. I find anything that glorifies, makes money from, or uses it for anything that is not helpful to the people involved in very bad taste and it just pisses me off!
Now a game???!!!!!
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Is there anything people won't do? I would have a fit if my son bought that game. I would like to think that he would see for himself the commercially opportunistic motive behind the making of this game. A game.. it is terrible to use the word game in the same context with the Columbine School Shootings. I think that is a sick individual and I hope people would resist buying that game. I feel bad for the parents of the children who were slain and the parents of Eric and Dylan and also the school faculty. For what they all had experienced.. and STILL experience I am sure, for that to be made light of. My mind boggles at the insensitivity. As if those involved haven't been through enough.

It's a sad world we live in when a tragedy of this proportion is made into a game.

Wildabeast. I'm mad too and I am sorry you and your family are exposed to this sort of garbage. As if it wasn't all bad enough. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

So how is this any different from the multitudes of 9/11 documentaries/movies that made money? What about all the books that depicted the holocaust? The passion of the christ? It doesn't seem like the creator of the game is saying "This event was awesome! Live it again and it'll feel like you'll have done the shooting yourself!"

America, and a lot of other countries, create things that will garner attention and (hopeful to their creators) money. This is no different. If you didn't act this way about the movie staring nicholas cage that came out a few months ago, i don't see why you should be acting this way about the game. Sure, it's a really touchy subject, but i'm sure there are SOME people that would want to see the kind of experience that day would've produced.

So, some final thoughts. If you don't like it, don't download it. If you don't want your kids/family to get it, try to talk them out of it (or if they're your kids, don't let them). This is just another example of a guy trying to make money and get attention from a controversial piece of work, and as always, he's succeeding in a grand manner.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 01 October 2006 - 12:27 PM.

#6 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

this is taken from the wiki site of it.

The player decides whether or not to kill, while making his way from the school cafeteria to the library. Eventually, after the police arrive, Harris and Klebold commit suicide. The actual grisly security photographs of the shooters' bodies are shown, followed by a montage of crime scene and newspaper photographs; finally, family photographs of Klebold and Harris from early childhood to high school are shown.

The game begins its second part at this point, with the player taking control of Klebold alone, as he finds himself in Hell. Unlike the first half of the game, this segment departs from historical accounts, as the player makes his way through Hell while combating demons and monsters from the computer game Doom. After reuniting with Harris, the two joyfully proclaim their excitement at the prospect of living out their favorite video game.

After more fighting, the pair find themselves at the "Isle of Lost Souls", where they meet several fictional characters and dead celebrities, including Bart Simpson, Mega Man, Mario, Ronald Reagan and John Lennon, who regales them with "Imagine". Next, they deliver a copy of Ecce Homo to the soul of Friedrich Nietzsche, who praises Trent Reznor, quoting his contemporaneous song "Heresy" (which itself quotes Nietzsche, in declaring "God is dead"). Continuing on, they encounter and do battle with a caricature of Satan (exactly as depicted in the South Park TV series). Upon their victory, Satan congratulates them, rewarding them with a flying dragon for use in travelling about Hell. After locating the two halves of the Satanic Bible and returning them to Satan, the player has completed the game.

hmmm find the satanic bible...yeah....
also the shooter at the montreal college posted on a website how much he loved to play the super columbine massacre rpg game.
whats next, "be a terrorist on 9/11, see it for m their view, how did this happen"
or "be hitler and massacre jews for no reason"
(interesting the day of the shooting 4/20 is hitlers birthday)
seriously what in the world. saying this game is to delve into the thoughts of the killers, thats like that one kid who was walking around telling people he was putting them on his "columbine list", and he had a shotgun in his locker, his parents are trying to sue the school becuase ,"it was for a school project on shool shootings".
there are better mediums to try and get whatever point you are trying to make accross, this is not one of them.
the reason for the video game is entertainment, and if you feel that going around in thie game and killing people, setting propane bombs and getting the satanic bible back to satan is a good entertaining game then wow!
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

I can see bringing something to the forefront.. lest we forget. I can see a documentary.. that would make sense to me. I do see what you mean Heretic Monkey. Mostly what bothers me is the GAME aspect and how it affects the people involved in the whole thing at the time. Maybe I am too empathetic.

Nothing should surprise me anymore.

Pandy googles *How to become jaded in 10 easy lessons*

there are better mediums to try and get whatever point you are trying to make accross, this is not one of them.
the reason for the video game is entertainment, and if you feel that going around in thie game and killing people, setting propane bombs and getting the satanic bible back to satan is a good entertaining game then wow!

I would agree with what ussr1943 says here. All I know is for me I tend to see things as good or bad.. with ALOT of gray. LOL I would not find a GAME of this sort to be entertaining. I do not find entertainment in others pain.. and what I mean is I couldn't put aside the thought of the pain and shock of when Columbine happened. Like I said tho.. maybe I am too empathetic.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:27 PM

Pandy, I don't think you are " too empathetic" - rather, I think sensitivity to other's pain and ongoing anguish is a lovely thing - gentle hug!

And Wildabeast, my sincere sympathy to your wife and all those that loved her nephew - too incredibly sad!

I think what Heretic Monkey said, " This is just another example of a guy trying to make money and get attention from a controversial piece of work, and as always, he's succeeding in a grand manner", pretty much sums up the reality of this game and it's creator.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users