Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Internal Battery Restart Button Broke?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JK29

JK29

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

I'm working on my wife's laptop and I think she's managed to destroy the "internal battery restart button" with a paper clip.................... I'm thinking it could be permanently depressed causing the computer not to be able to start or charge. Can I remove this thing?

Also I tested my adapter with a volt meter and I'm getting 41V which is way higher than the 19V on the side of the adapter. I'm also getting 41V though the power plug which I tested... Could this be our issue? Will the computer not charge if it's getting a voltage way too high? Protection method?

Thanks for any help yall send my way!

JK29

Here is a picture of the restart button I'm talking about.

Attached Files

Edited by JK29, 28 January 2018 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

Looks like a reset button for the motherboard and it also looks like it had the snot mashed out of it

You'd probably need a wiring diagram of the switch/board to get an understanding on how it is set up, you might be able to just pull it out, but it does have 3 terminals soldered to it so it's hard to say.

You might be able to get an identical dead board for cheap off of ebay and solder a better switch on it. (if you have good soldering skills)

Edited by Joe C, 28 January 2018 - 07:42 PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

IMO just grab a new board, usually fairly cheap.  Soldering on boards is tricky if you don't know what you are doing.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 JK29

JK29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll have to do some more research. Both of these options are currently out of my expertise, but that's not so say I can't learn it!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll have to do some more research. Both of these options are currently out of my expertise, but that's not so say I can't learn it!

You tube will be your friend, there are step by step movies on just about anything you will need.  Search by make & model poke around to see if you wish to do the work your self.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 JK29

JK29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

I took a pair of pliers to the top of the button and ripped the cover off. After which the button can now move. 

This fixed the issue and the computer will now charge and start. I reformatted to Linux mint. Lets hope I'm good to go for a while! 

Thanks,

JK29

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

Glad you found a simple, easy and cheap solution.

I now see why your avatar is rolling his sleeves up - nothing wrong with the occasional bit of brute strength and ignorance !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users