Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus laptop turns on to black screen, no boot logo or anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJohanson

MikeJohanson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Hello,

I had issues with my laptop, refreshed it and it seemed to be okay. Then last weekend it was freezing so I shut it off and turned it back on only to it to show nothing but a black screen when I turned it on. 

I press the power button on and it shuts off after a few seconds

I press the power button on and I try pressing the F keys to try and get something going and it shuts off

I remove the battery, but the battery back in and turn it on and it stays on but still has the black screen

I have taken the battery out, held power button for 15 seconds, and put it back in to try again and all it does is stay on with a black screen. Battery and power supply are fine as they both can individually power the laptop only if I remove the power source and then put it back in.

The make/model is Asus s56cb-ds71-ca

I followed some steps on another forum which included swapping RAM slots, taking hard drive out (still works in another computer, all the files are still there), and trying to boot with neither RAM or hard drive to no avail. It still just has that black screen. I've also plugged it into 2 different external monitors through VGA and HDMI which didn't display anything either. Really not sure what could be causing the issues because it was working before but a simple turn off/on seemed to make it die.

If anyone has any advice or what I should do I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

Usually a Laptop/PC shutting off Immediatly means CPU shutdown { Heat } and a Repaste usually fixes that.

Or are all the Vents / Fans clean and clear of Dust / Lint / etc.

Can you access the BIOS ?  { If so Reset to Defaults }

If not then you may have a MOBO Fault.

If you have a CdDvd Drive - Have you tried Booting from a Linux Distro Live CD to see what happens.

For others to also Assist you , what Operating System ? 

#3 MikeJohanson

MikeJohanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

It doesn't immediately shut off always. It does when I turn it off and turn it back on. However when I remove all power sources and put them back in it stays on until I hold the power button down again. I can't access BIOS or anything, it's just a black screen and pressing any of the F buttons doesn't do anything. I can't access BIOS so I won't be able to select boot from cd. I am running Windows 8.1. Have you heard of the mobo or cpu just crapping out randomly? It wasn't subject to any real stress, I just turned it off and this happened.

Thanks for the reply. 

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

A Quick Google....

Press and hold the power button about 5~8 seconds until the Notebook is shut down.

Then Press and hold the F2 button , then click the power button. DO NOT RELEASE the F2 button until the BIOS screen display.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users