Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't restart computer since MS updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dboud

dboud

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Window 7 Home Premium SP1: Since the recent MS update over the past week I can no longer use the "Restart" option. If I do my Alienware M17 laptop hangs 3/4 of the way through the restart process. I have to use the shutdown option then get up and go to my laptop and press the power button to turn it back on. I use it like a workstation with a remote keyboard/mouse combo and I'm partially disabled so it's more of a hassle than it sounds. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not able to access the MS catalog site to get that KB4078130 update. Is it possible that would fix this problem? If so is there any other site I can get it from? The error I get with or with my VPN active is:

This site can’t be reached
The webpage at https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4078130 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

I don't know if the update will fix your problem but I got the same error with Chrome. I could only access the Update Catalog using Internet Explorer.

#3 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

You might try rolling back the last last update.  Either that (likely best) or try a Restore prior to the Update.

Not sure which KB4078130 update is.  However, if it has anything to do with Meltdown ot Spectre I would hold off.  Just checked and that is one for Spectre.  Ask Woody and others suggest holding off at this time since M$ has made such a freaking mess of things.

What was "Since the recent MS update over the past week"?

What happens when you run without the VPN?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

That update is to revert the Spectre patch because of issues. I can now access it in Chrome.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4078130

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4078130/update-to-disable-mitigation-against-spectre-variant-2

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

That Update may help, but it would be a good idea to check your hardware to see if it was even affected.  If possible Post a Speccy Link with this Tutorial by dc3.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/657797/painfully-slow/#entry4338688

Or you can easily Copy your System Information like this:

1. Click on Menu
2. Type "System Information", and not "System Configuration" and Click on it.
3. It will now be on System Summary by Default.
4. Click "Edit" in Top Left, and then Click "Select All" 
5. Then Select "Copy" also from the "Edit" Dropdown.
6. Now you can Paste it to wherever you want, directly into your Post, to Notepad or a Word Document.

Edited by pcpunk, 29 January 2018 - 10:31 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 dboud

dboud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

You might try rolling back the last last update.  Either that (likely best) or try a Restore prior to the Update.

Not sure which KB4078130 update is.  However, if it has anything to do with Meltdown ot Spectre I would hold off.  Just checked and that is one for Spectre.  Ask Woody and others suggest holding off at this time since M$ has made such a freaking mess of things.

What was "Since the recent MS update over the past week"?

What happens when you run without the VPN?

I meant to say "Since the recent MS updates (plural) over the past week". When I restart I have always shutdown the VPN first disconnected from my WiFi and had no problems until the flurry of MS updates I got. I'd upload a screenshot showing the ones I mean but I don't see an option for uploading a picture file of any sort. I'm new to this forum so I may just be missing it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Click More Reply Options. You will see the button to attach a file or you can use a image hosting service and provide the link in your post.

#8 dboud

dboud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:13 PM

Here's a GIF of the screenshot.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2018 - 01:28 PM.

#9 dboud

dboud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

Attached File  System Summary 1-29-2018.txt   897bytes   3 downloads

That Update may help, but it would be a good idea to check your hardware to see if it was even affected.  If possible Post a Speccy Link with this Tutorial by dc3.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/657797/painfully-slow/#entry4338688

Attached File  System Summary 1-29-2018.txt   897bytes   3 downloads

Or you can easily Copy your System Information like this:

1. Click on Menu
2. Type "System Information", and not "System Configuration" and Click on it.
3. It will now be on System Summary by Default.
4. Click "Edit" in Top Left, and then Click "Select All" 
5. Then Select "Copy" also from the "Edit" Dropdown.
6. Now you can Paste it to wherever you want, directly into your Post, to Notepad or a Word Document.

Ok, thanks. I've attached a Notepad listing of the System Summary.

Edited by dboud, 29 January 2018 - 11:25 PM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

Your processor was affected, so this is most likely why you got this Update, but the Update had problems as John told us earlier.  I would go ahead and install the KB4078130 as that is supposed to fix it.  Otherwise you will need to uninstall the offending Update, but seems to me it would be easier to just install the one MS has released to fix it.

Next time you could just post Specs like that in your post, and not as an attachment.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users