Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPS budget monitors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

Has any of the group bought a budget IPS monitor, if so what are your thought on performance?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Yes I have a couple of monitors which I suppose should be in that category.  The particular model is no longer in production but they were cheap (around £100 each) for 23" LG IPS monitors (1920 x 1080 res).  Compared to the TN panels I was using previously the better colour is very noticeable and the viewing angle is much better.  TN usually have an obvious colour shift as the viewing angle changes, and is particularly noticeable on the vertical (if you change viewing height).  This is not present at all in IPS, as far as I can tell.  Aside from that one of them has minimal light bleed around the corners, the other has considerably more.  This shows itself as a lightening of corner areas particularly when a very dark image is showing on the screen, and is an unfortunate trait of IPS monitors.  The fact one has a lot more than the other suggests quality control is less than perfect on these cheap monitors.  But as I mostly use light desktop screens, I can't say I particularly notice it.

Edited by jonuk76, 28 January 2018 - 05:00 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the input, I am toying the idea of a graphics and monitor just to spice things up a bit.  I am running Intel 4000 on chip and an older Samsung monitor, decent picture but a little better quality for my grandson to play games.  I am looking at the 4 gig Gigabyte card.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Which Gigabyte card?  GPU's are at silly prices at the moment due to RAM prices, miners, price gougers etc.  Although the more base models (e.g. AMD RX550, Nvidia GT1030) are less affected.

I thought this looked quite a nice, big, IPS monitor for a good price - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2vPfrH/aoc-monitor-i2769vm

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

I guess that depends on what you call budget.  I picked up this monitor for my dad and have three of these on my desk at home.  Granted I bought them all on sale for under $175 a screen.  I like the ones I bought for myself.  I use them a few hours a day during the week and most of the day on the weekends.  I play World of Warcraft on my center screen with a browser on the left and a movie going on the right.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

I am thinking about a 1050 Ti, seems to be more than I would need and only draws 75 watts.  I have a Cougar RS 400 watt PSU, it is a vintage 2012 should do the job.  I want to see how well my Samsung does before before I go monitor shopping.

Edited by OldPhil, 29 January 2018 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users