Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinPatrol

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 jerry6

jerry6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

They now offer anonymous license for 4.95 , but still the same old software from May 2017 , no updates since then . Support does noy answer any emails , tried 4 times , nothing . Seems they are out of business and trying to sell as much as they can to suckers . 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

Although no one seems to know what has happened to Bret Lowry, the founder of Ruiware, I would not call users of WinPatrol suckers. It still is a useful program and excellent startup manager.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#18 jerry6

jerry6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:34 PM

Although no one seems to know what has happened to Bret Lowry, the founder of Ruiware, I would not call users of WinPatrol suckers. It still is a useful program and excellent startup manager.

Talking more about the firewall and anti ransom  software . Not much good if it's not been updated in over 1 year , unless you know something about the programs I'm not aware of ? By the way I bought licenses for all 3 in 2016 , winpatrol is the only one still useful .

I don't think it is fair to offer a license to a product that has no support . And I've tried to contact , with valid license and got no reply , that is just plain wrong .

#19 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

WinPatrol WAR and WinPatrol Firewall are separate programs...I peronally have never found the need to use either of them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#20 OLDXTECH

OLDXTECH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

I was active during the development of WinPatrol WAR - the Anti Ransomware software.  The approach is quite straight forward and seems to be still useful today.  It simply tests any incoming attempt to change any file in a "controlled folder - list of files/programs" against a white list of program files that are "approved" by the user - like a sandbox approach.  You are asked to "approve" any new file [.exe etc.] that pops up.  Thus, there is not much need for updates to the basic software - unless there is a major change affecting how the basic concept operates.  Note that Microsoft has a similar approach now, called "Controlled Folder Access", under Security>Ransomware Protection.  It seems to follow a similar approach, but alas is far less user friendly.  In my prior message, I passed on a comment from Bret [owner of the software firm] re that the release of the Microsoft product was apt to be "the writing on the wall" that would lead to closing out 3rd parties like him.  Seems that has come true.  At least, I feel that WAR still has use - and hope that Microsoft makes their product more user friendly in time.  Alas, hope is only 50/50.

Cheers.

Edited by OLDXTECH, 13 August 2018 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users