Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow system response

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carney

Carney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

I am trying to setup my brand-new (two days old) Dell laptop. Specs:

Windows 10 OS Build: 15063.877

Intel Core i5-7200 @ 2.5 GHz  2.7 GHz

16 GB RAM

500 GB SSD

It took three hours for setup to complete -- with no input from me. Once setup, the system immediately went into update, which took another 90 minutes. Once that completed, the system went to reboot. Boot takes a minimum of 15 minutes every single time. I have not downloaded ANYTHING since setup. I have also not installed anything. What I have done:

Run repair/reset = no improvement

Run memory test = no error reported

Inspected to ensure the RAM modules are properly seated = they are

Reset to factory just to ensure something didn't go wrong during initial setup = no improvement

I haven't used Win 10 before and thought the issue might be user ignorance, but come on...with these specs, the system shouldn't be slower than the older of our laptops that still runs Win 8. I'm not thinking this may be hardware, but am unsure. I'm not an IT person and am not real tech savvy, so...please keep that in mind. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

None of what you described is normal behavior. Return / exchange the system at once.

#3 Carney

Carney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Yep- thanks for the advice. I now know there are more issues than speed. While waiting for someone at Dell to respond to the chat line, I happened to look down at the bevel edge where the side edges meet and noticed they...well, don't fully meet. The plastic is not correctly joined. In addition, the touchpad is lifting from the main top frame. UGH! You pay mega dollars for a system and this is what you get! So much for QC. Thanks for the help, anyway. 

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Stuff happens. I was a big Dell fan for many years and only switched to HP because Dell made it harder for me to customize systems the way I wanted when I ordered them. They're a class act, but nobody bats 1000 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users