Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts when playing games

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrTruman21

MrTruman21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble with my computer. Hope you can help me out. I noticed someone already posted this but no further answers from the guy.
Over the past weeks I have been playing whitout and problems, but this week after playing tha sames games my screen would freze and after that a restart would happen.
In some games it does that in other it doesn't. For example PUBG would work great but Subnautica for instance would crush after 30 mins of use.
My CPU temps when it crushes are around 55-60, maybe even lower.
I did a 3DMark run and here are the results:
I ran the memory diagnostic tool to see if it was RAM fault and everthing was ok
Maybe a PSU or GPU problem? Can you help me out?

My computer specs are:
CPU: i5-8600K OC to 5GHz 2.8V
CPU cooler: Noctua nh-d15
GPU: MSI 1080 armour edition 8Gb (not oc yet)
Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-P
RAM: Ballistix 2x8Gb 2400MHz
PSU: Aerocool VP-750W
SSD: Sandisk 128GB
HDD: WD 1Tb
Double monitor set up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

I have a few questions.

What are your GPU temps when the games crash? (Unless you meant GPU when you said CPU :lmao:) Do other games crash at all or is it just Subnautica that does? Is there a pattern that you've noticed (IE: Specific time it happens, or amount of time before the crash starts) Is the PC shutting down, or just freezing then restarting? Have you uninstalled/reinstalled your GPU drivers?

Unless the machine is just shutting down randomly, we can rule out the PSU. Intermittent freezing points at your RAM. What program did you use to test it? I recommend a thorough testing software, such as Memtest86+, with 16GB of RAM it will take a while but it's a very good test and can officially rule it out. Strangely enough I'm also curious about the state of your hard disk. Are PubG and Subnautica on seperate drives, that could explain why one is having more problems than the other?

Sorry to have you answer a ton of questions, it's a strange issue. Hopefully we can figure this out for you! Look forward to hearing back.

Edited by C0bra, 29 January 2018 - 08:12 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 MrTruman21

MrTruman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Oddly it didn't crash today and have been playing subnautica for 5 hours straight.

Answering your questions:

1. I didn't check the GPU temps since it didn't crash again.
2. It happened also in another game, so not the only one.

3. Something that I noticed is that I have less electronic devices conected to the terminal strip. So maybe it gets the enough power that it needs?

4. The computer freezes and then restarts.

5. I did reinstalled my GPU drivers.

6. For the RAM test i used the memory diagnostic tool thats comes with windows. Will try the one you recomended and let you know if I find anything.
7. HDD is 4 years old, so as the SSD and the PSU. All my games on the same drive installed.

Something that may help. I built this computer 2 months ago, changing everying except: HDD, SSD and PSU which are 4 years old.
Some people said that aerocool PSU are cheap and bad ones. Should I change it just in case it can burn my new tech? Also the warranty is probably over.

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:24 PM

Oddly it didn't crash today and have been playing subnautica for 5 hours straight.

Answering your questions:

1. I didn't check the GPU temps since it didn't crash again.
2. It happened also in another game, so not the only one.

3. Something that I noticed is that I have less electronic devices conected to the terminal strip. So maybe it gets the enough power that it needs?

4. The computer freezes and then restarts.

5. I did reinstalled my GPU drivers.

6. For the RAM test i used the memory diagnostic tool thats comes with windows. Will try the one you recomended and let you know if I find anything.
7. HDD is 4 years old, so as the SSD and the PSU. All my games on the same drive installed.

Something that may help. I built this computer 2 months ago, changing everying except: HDD, SSD and PSU which are 4 years old.
Some people said that aerocool PSU are cheap and bad ones. Should I change it just in case it can burn my new tech? Also the warranty is probably over.

Excellent, that clears a few things up. Its possible the PSU is starting to head on its way. Given the PSU you currently have and taking into account its age, I'd probably just upgrade it anyways - PSUs, thankfully, aren't too expensive. Personally, I'd start there then take a peak at your drives. Use SeaTools for your WD (You can also WD Data Lifeguard if you prefer.) and I prefer CrystalDisk for my SSD diagnostics.

That's of course if you RAM passes.

Good luck! Keep me in the loop on how you make out.

Edited by C0bra, 29 January 2018 - 12:26 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

#5 MrTruman21

MrTruman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

I will let you know since you took your time to help me out.
Will change PSU first  and then run the proper test you said.
I did look into getting the Seasonic focus gold 650W or the Cool Master V650. By any chace you know how they perform in noise? Or which one you own? Any tip would be great.

Edited by MrTruman21, 29 January 2018 - 08:11 PM.

#6 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:49 AM

I will let you know since you took your time to help me out.
Will change PSU first  and then run the proper test you said.
I did look into getting the Seasonic focus gold 650W or the Cool Master V650. By any chace you know how they perform in noise? Or which one you own? Any tip would be great.

It's been a while since I've shopped for PSUs myself so I couldn't really give you the best advice there. I have an 80+ Bronze myself, Antec to be more specific, it's treated me well. Ideally anything 80+ Bronze or higher should suffice (80+ Gold, etc.), try and find some well reviewed models on Newegg or PC Part Picker.

nIDwkQT.gif

#7 MrTruman21

MrTruman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

After trying to get the seasonic for almost 2 weeks no place had it, so I opted for the Cool Master and the problem is fixed. Thanks for the help.

#8 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

After trying to get the seasonic for almost 2 weeks no place had it, so I opted for the Cool Master and the problem is fixed. Thanks for the help.

Excellent. Glad to hear!

nIDwkQT.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users