Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 BSOD restarting loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NipNip-B02

NipNip-B02

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

System: Dell Inspiron 17-5759 laptop, new from Dell Q4 2015.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6500U, 64-bit, 2 cores, 4 threads (Skylake).

GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 520 (integrated).

GPU 2: AMD Radeon R5 M335 (discrete).

RAM: 8GB, DDR3L, 1600MHz (2 x 4GB SODIMM).

BIOS: Version 1.4.1, Secure Boot off, Legacy ROM on, Legacy (non-UEFI) boot (boot order: USB > diskette > ODD > HDD > internal NIC)

HDD: 1TB, 5400rpm.

ODD: DVD RW.

USB: 1 x 3.0, 2 x 2.0.

WiFi: Intel wireless 3160AC, 802.11b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0.

Screen: 17.3 inch, 1920 x 1080, LED backlit.

OS: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, version 1709, OS build 16299.192.

AV: Kaspersky IS 2018, Malwarebytes Premium 3.3.1.

Drivers: all updated to latest versions using iOBit Driver Booster.

Applications: all updated to latest versions using various update software.

Hello all, thank you for reading my first post. The following is an area where I'm a novice, so apologies if I've missed anything obvious. I did read the pinned BSOD topics, but got rather confused - sorry!

Background: The laptop has worked almost flawlessly since acquired new from Dell (UK) with Win 10 Home pre-installed. A few days ago I updated to the latest Win 10 build, and also downloaded/flash-installed the latest BIOS update from Dell (UK). The laptop worked OK for a few days, then one day took a long time to power-off. At next power-on, it took a long time to boot up (cursor arrow on a black screen). I then watched a streamed TV programme from BBC iPlayer, via the BBC website using Edge. The video (not audio) would occasionally freeze, or become "pixelated". After 15 mins or so the whole laptop froze. No amount of key combinations or waiting would un-freeze it, so I had to press and hold the power button to power-off.

Upon powering back on, the laptop is now stuck in the following restart loop:

1. Dell logo appears > Dell logo replaced by Windows logo and "rotating balls" timer for a few 10's of seconds > BSOD with stop code "Memory Management" (no numerical stop code) > restarts.

2. Dell logo appears > screen goes black > restarts

3. Dell logo appears > Dell logo replaced by Windows logo and "rotating balls" timer and "Preparing Automatic Repair" for a few 10's of seconds > BSOD with stop code "Memory Management" (no numerical stop code) > restarts and returns to 1.

This goes on ad infinitum.

What I have tried:

A. Having read that Intel has "recalled" their recent BIOS updates for the Meltdown/Spectre problem, I checked the Dell (UK) website, and the BIOS version had been downgraded to version 1.3.0 (the version the laptop had before I updated it).  Downloaded and flash-installed via a convoluted method described on their website using a USB "stick".  After restart, same symptoms.

B. Tried booting to a Win 10 recovery drive (made previously on the same laptop) on a USB "stick". Same symptoms.

C. Downloaded Win 10 media creation tool (on a different laptop) and created a bootable USB "stick" to do a clean install. Same symptoms.

D. Online chat with Microsoft support suggested I powered on the laptop then powered off as soon as the Dell logo appeared, and to repeat 5 times to enable the recovery environment. Same symptoms.  Suggested I powered on with Shift key depressed. Same symptoms.  Suggested I phoned them for help (when they're open!).

E. Disconnected HDD ribbon cable. After power-on, says "found no bootable drive" or similar. Re-connected cable.

F. Re-seated RAM SODIMMS, and also tried with just 1 installed for each of the pair in slot A. Same symptoms.

G. Took laptop completely apart (except screen) to inspect for poor/loose connections etc. After re-build, same symptoms.

H. Tried booting with various combinations of Legacy/UEFI via BIOS setup (F2 key to enter). Same symptoms.

I. Used F12 key after power-on to enable another BIOS type menu. Selected then ran Dell ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (4304.09) diagnostics in "thorough" mode. This took around 4 hours and reported no problems at all (including memory, HDD, OS Boot Path, and System Management). After restart, same symptoms.

J. Removed battery, disconnected AC adapter and held power key for 15 sec. Powered-on with just AC mains/adapter power (read this somewhere on Web!). Same symptoms.

As you can see, I am unable to get into Windows at all. Despite trawling the Web for answers, most seem to require getting into Windows first.

Any ideas or help, please? :)

Edited by NipNip-B02, 28 January 2018 - 07:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Have you tried installing Windows in UEFI mode with Secure Boot enabled?

I would suggest these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Beyond that, maybe post over in the Internal Hardware forums for additional suggestions:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 NipNip-B02

NipNip-B02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Hello John.  Thanks for your suggestions & help.

I've run the bootable MemTest86 diagnostic and get a pass.

I've changed the BIOS options to UEFI, Legacy ROMs off, and Secure Boot.  Just started to do a clean install of Windows 10; so looks more promising! Will keep you posted.

Incidentally, prior to your reply, I had tried flashing the BIOS again to version 1.3.0, using Dell's "Ctrl + Esc" method from a USB stick. I noticed that initially it installs "BIOS Guard" (successfully), then Intel Management Engine (fails with error 0x00002201), then finally the BIOS (successfully). Do you think the Intel ME failure could be a factor?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

Intel's MEI is a mysterious little program and I'm unsure of it's impact on this.

From what I've seen, it's very possible that this is a part of the problem - but I also wouldn't rule out an issue from the fixes that Intel has issued for Spectre/Meltdown.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 NipNip-B02

NipNip-B02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hi again John

Your suggestions and information seem to have done the trick. Windows 10 is now reinstalled, along with all the apps/programs and backed-up data. Everything appears to be working correctly.

Phew! Thank you! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users