Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I run Windows 8.1 64-Bit on a old pc?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EricFlorea

EricFlorea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:54 AM

Can I run Windows 8.1 64-Bit  on a old pc? My specs are: Intel Duo 2.20 ghz        Graphics:NvIDIA GeForce 210 1 gb       Memory:2 gb ram :bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

Hello EricFlorea,

Your listed hardware would be ok with running it but can I ask if yours is a brand name computer or a custom build and what version of Windows are you running, reason I ask, you need to make sure that compatible drivers are available and if presently running 64-bit Windows 7 you could do an in place upgrade which would allow you to keep your personal data and only need to reinstall your software apps.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

One other system requirement for Windows 8.1 is to have a least 16GB of free space on your ssd/hdd.

Otherwise, yes Windows 8.1 will run on this computer, but with only 2GB of RAM it is going to be painfully slow.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Sreekumar12

Sreekumar12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:58 AM

Windows 8 needs , Minimum of 4 GB RAM and 50 GB hard disk space to work smoothly....

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

Sorry Sreekumar12 but that is incorrect, my reply #2 only addressed the hardware in the OP of EricFlorea and the reply #3 of dc3 was to highlight the importance of having an adequate capacity storage device.

Windows 8.1 system requirements courtesy of Microsoft here

System requirements
Applies to: Windows 8.1

Processor. 1 gigahertz (GHz)* or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
RAM. 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space. 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card. Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users