Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux misconceptions that you HATE

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Even as Linux is gaining traction in a post windows 10 world I still find the occasional really crappy post about linux lining up reasons why its bad yet the person who complains ignores all the flaws windows has.

Granted linux is far from perfect but there are some misconceptions and or utter bullcrap lies about it that really get under my skin.

Firstly there is the whole "Linux is hard!" misconception

Its a common lie that the only way to use linux is all via command line and that you need a manual to understand it.

Granted there are distros that I think are to blame here, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Slackware are the big ones here.

I mean yes Arch gentoo slackware void and many "do it yourself" distros do have their place, your linux from scratches to be sure do deserve a audience dont get me wrong.

Some people like a challenge and hey hats your thing.

But at the same time its a good thing that ubuntu and Linux mint came around, say what you will about them but they are what really started to give rise to the more modern easy to use linux.

Granted that were not the first but the modern age of linux owes a lot to Ubuntu and canonical for taking linux to another stage.

Second one I really hate.... Linux is communism!

I mean for petes sake there is no connection to open source and communism.

Granted yes there is red star linux the greatest computer system ever ever by the great and glorious Kim Jun Un who not only invented the internet but gave us all space coffee!

And yes there is also Ubuntu kylin and Deepin linux, both made by the Chinese

But in all seriousness open source is not communism, marxism or any of that.

Really if thast is all true why does Redhat exist or why are companies like IBM and google invested in it?

Hell Microsoft, yeas the Microsoft is invested in linux right now.

Utter madness but it is true.

Got any ones you utterly hate?

Those are my two big ones.

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 January 2018 - 10:12 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Linux is immune/bulletproof to viruses/malware. And then they surf the web from an admin account and go to sites that they normally wouldn't go to on Windows.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

I find new users bad 1st experience with Linux is due to the lack of doing a little bit of learning how Linux works prior to installing and using Linux.

A willingness and desire to learn Linux is a must to have a good 1st experience with Linux or any OS.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 985 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Well said The-Toolman.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

Former Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer once considered Linux users a bunch of communist thieves and saw open source itself as a cancer on Microsoft's intellectual property.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Former Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer once considered Linux users a bunch of communist thieves and saw open source itself as a cancer on Microsoft's intellectual property.

That went over like a lead balloon with me and it backfired on him. I wonder what he thought of Windows 10 being offered as a free upgrade. 

This is the guy who said the iphone wasn't going anywhere. Where is Windows phone now?

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get."

Linux isn't hard, just different, and if a person doesn't take the time you learn it then they have no one else to blame but themselves.

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:59 AM

Linux is hard to use.

Linux isn't hard to use, it's just different to use, that's all.

Linux is immune from Malware because it's safer by design

No, it's not. The premise that Linux is somehow harder to infect than Windows just isn't true.

Most infections get onto a machine with the willing cooperation of the person who owns it. Usually due to their ignorance, greed, or gullibility, and conning a dumb Linux user is no more difficult than conning a dumb Windows user.

Fortunately dumb Linux users tend to be less common than dumb Windows users. :wink: :whistle:

Edited by Gary R, 28 January 2018 - 02:00 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

Just as a general point, for many people, different to use is the functional equivalent of hard to use because they're too lazy to spend any time trying to familiarize themselves with what the similarities and differences are to what they're already comfortable with.  You hear this same inane plaint every time a new version of Windows comes out, too.  People like their comfortable ruts and really resist getting out of them, even if doing so would put one in an undeniably "better place."

I do actually agree, at this point in Linux history, that "dumb Linux users tend to be less common than dumb Windows users."   How could that not be so just given the numbers of each, respectively?   Linux has evolved from "the geek's OS" into something that really can be used by "the great unwashed."  The side effect of that will be that if and when it gains significant traction among "the great unwashed" your premise will cease to be true.

I've always wondered why those who make the claim that Linux and OSX, among others, are less subject to infections don't seem to get that this is a direct result of both being far less "target rich" than, say, Windows.  Were anything else to supplant the current position of Windows in the PC market that "anything else" would be subject to precisely the same constant attempts at compromise that Windows is.  Crooks go where the biggest likelihood of the biggest payoff is.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

Even as Linux is gaining traction in a post windows 10 world I still find the occasional really crappy post about linux lining up reasons why its bad yet the person who complains ignores all the flaws windows has.

So true, Madman; so true.

I think the one that brings a smile to my face, every single time I hear it, is the old saw about 'Windows is more customizable than Linux'. What a load of codswallop. No it's not. I think it's probably fair to say that the two are equally customizable in their own ways.....but with Linux, those 'special effects' are quite a bit easier to achieve.

I used to use the 4-workspace-switcher thing in XP (I forget what it was called now, but it was part of the PowerToys suite of 'add-ons').....but you had to dig around to find the 'special' website it was hosted on, followed by further digging to find instructions for using it that actually made sense. And even then, it wasn't a patch on what many Linux distros have been used to for decades...by default, natch.

How many of us enjoy using Conky? Or using multiple desktop environments? Or (gulp) using Compiz, and showing disbelievers the famous 'spinning cube' for our workspaces?

That last one alone has probably been responsible for more people at least having a look at Linux than just about any other 'special effect'. And I, for one, have had infinitely more fun customizing my Puppies than I ever had trying to achieve some of the same effects in Windoze.....because every bit of those effects I achieved through my own efforts, rather than installing a pre-built piece of software from somebody else.

I really can't imagine life without MooiTech's PhotoScape running under WINE.....

Which is just one benefit of Linux's script-based nature. Although I find myself agreeing with Brian; as soon as Linux achieves any kind of sizeable market share, the hackers & malware authors will simply switch to the 'new' target. After all.....why wouldn't they?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 January 2018 - 08:20 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

The truth is linux (the GUI centred ones like ubuntu and mint) isn't all that different to use than windows, atleast for a casual user. You click on icons on a GUI, you have multiple programs in various windows which you can switch between, you can run a lot of the same software, except for the windows software that won't run on wine(maybe half or so perhaps at a guess), plus lots of other things that don't exist on windows. Going into the terminal sometimes for the odd specific task can be easier than trying to do it in other ways, and there are generally very clear instructions online for the commands to type, but most stuff can be done purely through GUIs too. When I first tried booting linux I had only ever used windows xp and 8 before that, I got the rough idea of using linux mint MATE within an hour or two.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

You wanna talk about being in a rut and not wanting to try something different?

My father loves his1969 V8 Chrysler Valiant.

Like this one.

8283b6cc-3b99-4eb8-892d-33be0cdd2186-atm

Now you try and convince him to try a Ford or GM and he will tell you " they are not the same, to hard to maintain, to hard to drive Etc Etc "  Even picking him up in a Ford or GM branded car can be a problem. Windows users are no different.

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

The thing i see that is somewhat common, but a big misconception:    all repos are legitimate.   Those in the know are aware that just because a repo exists, doesn't mean that it is legit.

Edited by synergy513, 28 January 2018 - 08:59 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 985 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

@ rp88 & NickAu

Agreed all you need to do is put some effort into Linux, now days Linux isn't that hard especially with Debian/Ubuntu based distros.:) It wasn't all that long ago that I was exclusively a Windows user then I tried Kubuntu and put some effort into it and eventually I learned how use it, heck I'm still learning and I never want stop. :thumbup2:

#14 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Linux is hard to use.

Linux isn't hard to use, it's just different to use, that's all.

Linux is immune from Malware because it's safer by design

No, it's not. The premise that Linux is somehow harder to infect than Windows just isn't true.

Most infections get onto a machine with the willing cooperation of the person who owns it. Usually due to their ignorance, greed, or gullibility, and conning a dumb Linux user is no more difficult than conning a dumb Windows user.

Fortunately dumb Linux users tend to be less common than dumb Windows users. :wink: :whistle:

Many 'nix users run risk exposed programs such as browsers under restricted privileges, Windows users tend to run with Admin group privileges.

Restricted privileges along with sticking with all your software being supplied via a single trusted source, such as Debian Main repo's only, and the risks are substantially reduced.

Security however isn't a product, its a process. Even the most physically secure system can be compromised if the correct procedures are lacking.

OpenBSD (-release) data server (that auto detects and rsshfs mounts one of its folders onto my desktop system).

Desktop system sshfs mounts my android phone (SSHelper app installed on phone).

Desktop system runs X under non-root, and is mostly booted read only (desktop changes lost at shutdown/reboot).

#15 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Windows users tend to run with Admin group privileges

No, they don't. They may have done once, but the standard User Account hasn't had Administrator group privileges since XP.

From Vista onwards, the standard "User" account is somewhere between a traditional User account (with no rights at all) and an Administrator account (with permissions to do anything). So although a User can install software, they cannot authorise changes to the system/kernel.

In Linux, material changes need to be authorised before they can be made, similarly in Windows they are flagged by UAC and have to be authorised before they are carried out. In addition to that, key system processes cannot even be changed with Administrator privileges, only System group accounts can make those changes, and there is no simple method for a User to elevate their account to have them.

But to be honest, privileges are a very poor protection mechanism, and most malware writers have very little problem in circumventing them, and in fact will use them to their advantage, to make removal of their products more difficult.

I've seen nothing to suggest that they would not be able to circumvent Linux privileges with equal ease, nor to use them to their advantage either.

I agree entirely with you however on the reduced risks of infection derived from downloading software from an approved repository. There is no doubt whatsoever, that Windows users ability to download software from anywhere, is a key contributor to the high infection rates for their OS's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users