Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Loop, Alienware m17x R5

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caydenfish

caydenfish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

Hello, this is my first post, so mods feel free to move it as I didn't know where else to post.

I recently bought this Alienware from a guy on Letgo, all the diagnostics were great and everything runs nice. We noticed that there was a BIOS password, which I figured wouldn't be too difficult to resolve. I have been planning on resetting to factory but can't due to the BIOS. The BIOS setup has both a User and an Administrator password. The previous owner told me the User and also the Windows passwords, but did not know the admin password. Since I want the laptop to be completely under my control, I want to remove the BIOS completely. 

Due to the BIOS Admin, all options except "Locked Setup" were greyed out. Unable to figure it out, I tried to remove the CMOS battery, unhook the battery and power cord, and try to reset the BIOS. After an hour unhooked and using the power button to release static, I powered the computer back on, nothing, except now, I could change the User password.

So I log in, and windows 10 asks what Os I want to use, I noticed there were 2 options for Windows 10. Desperately I clicked the other one and restarted the computer. Now, I type in the correct BIOS password, and the computer reboots, keeping me in a loop where I can only sign in to BIOS. Both F2 and F12 work, but most settings are greyed out. What can I do?

I have already filed for ownership transfer, and due to my lack of knowledge of the original owner's info, and what I have read online, input "No Information" for the previous owners First and Last names, and ZIP Code.

What else can I do? According to Alienware, I have to pay to have them fix it, (laptop is out of warranty) but I struggle to believe there is no other way.

All answers are appreciated, Thanks!

EDIT: Computer is Alienware m17x R5

Edited by caydenfish, 27 January 2018 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

Sounds to me you have access to the Bios and the Password is correct and works { You Stated everything runs Nice or did at some stage }.

Ive never used the feature to password Protect the Bios at Boottime , as in the event something gets stolen they can still access the drive by means.....

Sounds like some corruption or an Install x 2 .

The quick fix .....You could just reinstall Win 10.

Any Personal Data on the Drive should be saved Prior to a new Install if needed.

Post Back : Others may assist further ....

#3 caydenfish

caydenfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

How does one download Windows to a usb drive?

Edited by caydenfish, 27 January 2018 - 11:00 PM.

#4 caydenfish

caydenfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

Sounds to me you have access to the Bios and the Password is correct and works { You Stated everything runs Nice or did at some stage }.
Ive never used the feature to password Protect the Bios at Boottime , as in the event something gets stolen they can still access the drive by means.....

Any Personal Data on the Drive should be saved Prior to a new Install if needed.

Yep you got some of that right, I do know the login password for the BIOS user account, and should have access to Windows. How would I go about installing Windows 10 sonce I can't get on the internet? Could I use my desktop?

Edited by caydenfish, 27 January 2018 - 10:57 PM.

#5 caydenfish

caydenfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:12 AM

This worked!!!! Thank you so much man! Saved me a lot of struggle!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users