Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Boot Loop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 electricreli

electricreli

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Problem:  I am unable to boot up into Windows 10.  The Lenovo OEM screen comes up with the rotating circles.  Something flashes at the bottom of the screen and then it reboots again.    

Goal:  Retain all data on the computer

Objective:  Repair PC so it can boot into Windows 110

Safe Mode:  I am unable to get to Safe Mode per the reason described above.

Background Info:  This is my mother's computer so I don't use this machine but she doesn't install things.  I don't know if Microsoft automatically installed an update.  I don't know what the version of Windows 10 is installed.

Computer:  Lenovo ThinkCentre M78 2111C3U (Purchased in 10/2013) Originally came with Windows 8 but was upgraded to Windows 10 when Microsoft offered the free upgrade

USB Flash Drive:  Created with the Microsoft MediaCreationTool.exe from Download Windows 10 page.

What I have tried

1.  Booted up with USB > Troubleshoot > Startup Repair     result: Unable to repair

2.  Booted up with USB > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt

bootrec /FixMbr          result:  The system cannot find the file specified
bootrec /FixBoot        result:  The system cannot find the file specified
bootrec /ScanOS        result:  Total identified Windows installations: 0

bootrec /rebuildbcd   result:   Total identified Windows installations: 0

bcedit /export c:\bcdbackup     result:   The store export operation has failed.
                                                                  The requested system device cannot be found.
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old              
bootrec /rebuildbcd                   result: Total identified Windows installations: 0 

3.  I also tried diskpart
diskpart
DISKPART>
sel disk 0
list vol

I assigned drive letters G: and P: trying to figure out what was on them.  I don't know how to unassign them.  Remember that the OEM provided Windows8.  Also the C: drive is a solid state drive and the D: drive is just a old spinning drive used for data.

Volume 0     F                                                  DVD-ROM       0 GB
Volume 1     C     Windows8_OS       NTFS    Partition          98 GB
Volume 2     G     WINRE_DRV         NTFS    Partition       1000 MB
Volume 3     P      SYSTEM_DRV      FAT32   Partition         260 MB
Volume 4                                            NTFS    Partition        450 MB
Volume 5             Lenovo_Reco         NTFS    Partition          11 GB
Volume 6     D      Hard Drive              NTFS   Partition         465 GB
Volume 7     E      ESD-USB               FAT32   Removable     14 GB

4.  UEFI:  I don't know whether or not the Lenovo M78 2111C3U has UEFI or not.  I did look at the SYSTEM_DRV partition and find a hidden EFI directory.  I don't see anything that says UEFI when go into the BIOS.  Does anyone know?  I also own a Lenovo 10BR0005US which I know is UEFI but it's from 2015.  Even if it is UEFI, I don't know what to do differently.

Help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for reading.  

Edited by electricreli, 27 January 2018 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Im not an expert on Win 10 but I manage anyway.

Goal:  Retain all data on the computer

So is all your personal Data on the D Drive  ? { If so then disconnect the drive until you reinstall Win 10 }

If you have Personal Data on the SSD then Create a Live Disc of any Linux Distro { Mint / Knoppix / etc } then boot from that and search for your data / and Save Ext.

I created the win 10 Disc from the Media Creation Tool and inserted the USB and Booted , it then installed Win 10.

You may have to Change your Boot Sequence in the Bios.

When you get to where to install  Win 10 , i would leave the Win 8 Recovery Partition  { 11 Gig } incase you ever want to go back to it. { Or Delete It ? }.

Otherwise delete the rest and then Install Windows 10 on that Partiton { It should Create 4 New Partitions }.....Mine Did.

More Info here : From Usama Comments :

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/668016/windows-10-crashed/

#3 electricreli

electricreli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for your response. First time I hearing about Linux Distro. Is there a guide online on how to recover files.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Fairly Easy - http://knoppix.net/

Download Knoppix Version { Live CD }.

Burn ISO { Image } to a CD { I Use ImageBurn }.

Insert Disc and Boot from it. { Change Bios Boot Order if needed }.

You have 2 Options to this Method:

1/ Run Disc from the Problem PC / But you will need an External Drive to save any found Data.

2/ Or Pull the Drive from the Problem PC and Slave it on another PC and Save Data found onto that PC.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

You will have to use Diskpart command to find out the System Reserved partition drive letter. I think in your case SYSTEM_DRV is the System Reserved partition so i will use this partition drive letter with Bcdboot command.

Type diskpart and press Enter.
    Type list volume and press Enter.

Under the label row, find the label SYSTEM_DRV and note its corresponding drive letter.

Type exit and press Enter.
     Type bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f uefi and press Enter.

You may have to replace P: drive letter with SYSTEM_DRV labeled drive letter.

Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Reboot your computer.

Posted Image

#6 electricreli

electricreli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

You will have to use Diskpart command to find out the System Reserved partition drive letter. I think in your case SYSTEM_DRV is the System Reserved partition so i will use this partition drive letter with Bcdboot command.

Type diskpart and press Enter.
    Type list volume and press Enter.

Under the label row, find the label SYSTEM_DRV and note its corresponding drive letter.

Type exit and press Enter.
     Type bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f uefi and press Enter.

You may have to replace P: drive letter with SYSTEM_DRV labeled drive letter.

Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Reboot your computer.

Thanks for your response.

1.  I was able to perform the following steps successfully.

Type diskpart and press Enter.
    Type list volume and press Enter.

Under the label row, find the label SYSTEM_DRV and note its corresponding drive letter.

Type exit and press Enter.
     Type bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f uefi and press Enter.

The message I received was "Boot files successfully created."

2.  I typed the command Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice"  + Enter exactly as typed in red including quotes but I received no feedback, no error, nothing.  All I got was a blinking cursor on the next line,.  I tried on the X: drive, C: drive and the P: drive with the same results.

Any thoughts on what I should do next?  Again, the list below is what my list vol looks like in diskpart.  

Volume 0     F                                                  DVD-ROM       0 GB
Volume 1     C     Windows8_OS       NTFS    Partition          98 GB
Volume 2     G     WINRE_DRV         NTFS    Partition       1000 MB
Volume 3     P      SYSTEM_DRV      FAT32   Partition         260 MB
Volume 4                                            NTFS    Partition        450 MB
Volume 5             Lenovo_Reco         NTFS    Partition          11 GB
Volume 6     D      Hard Drive              NTFS   Partition         465 GB
Volume 7     E      ESD-USB               FAT32   Removable     14 GB

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

Looks like you have repaired Windows 10 boot files with this bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f uefi command.

I should have ask you to use ALL instead of UEFI as you are not sure you have configured computer to use UEFI firmware to boot Windows 10.

Execute below bcdboot command and if needed replace P: drive letter with the SYSTEM_DRV partition drive letter.

If needed replace C:\ drive letter with Windows 10 installed partition drive letter.

The Dir command can be use to display content of any drive letter assigned to partitions.

Execute Dir /a C:\ to display the list of files and directories in C:\ partition.

bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f ALL

What i don't understand is why is C: drive letter assigned partition has a label of Windows 8 OS are you dual booting?

Posted Image

#8 electricreli

electricreli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

Looks like you have repaired Windows 10 boot files with this bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f uefi command.

I should have ask you to use ALL instead of UEFI as you are not sure you have configured computer to use UEFI firmware to boot Windows 10.

Execute below bcdboot command and if needed replace P: drive letter with the SYSTEM_DRV partition drive letter.

If needed replace C:\ drive letter with Windows 10 installed partition drive letter.

The Dir command can be use to display content of any drive letter assigned to partitions.

Execute Dir /a C:\ to display the list of files and directories in C:\ partition.

bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f ALL

What i don't understand is why is C: drive letter assigned partition has a label of Windows 8 OS are you dual booting?

Sorry for my late response but I wanted to thank you and let you know that this solution worked for me.  C: has a label of Windows8_OS because that's what came with installed with the computer.  I installed Windows 10 over it during the free upgrade period.

Right now, the PC is running the following:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1607
OSBuild: 14393.2007

Although this solution worked for me, I am stuck in a loop because Windows 10 keeps trying to update what I guess is the Creator's version.  This update fails and I go right back to the original problem where Windows 10 will not boot until I implement the steps you provided.

I tried disabling the Windows Update service but I guess Windows overrides it and sets it back to manual.

QUESTIONS:
  1. Is there any way to get out of this contionous loop of Windows Updates installing an update that apparently will never work?

2. Since my PC, a Lenovo ThinkCentre M78 2111C3U, doesn't appear to be on the list of PCs that are compatible with Windows 10 Pro version 1709, does that mean that I should go back to Windows 8 so I can still receive updates?

Any further advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

Hi electricreli

Thanks for getting back to us!

Have you tried upgrading to latest version of Windows 10 using Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Before upgrading to latest version of Windows 10, install all latest versions of device drivers for your computer. Make sure to download the latest versions of device drivers from either your computer manufacturer website or device manufacturer website.

You should also uninstall or disable third-party installed antivirus and firewall programs.

If nothing works you can try to disable or defer the feature update.

How to Disable Automatic Updates in Windows 10

Posted Image

#10 electricreli

electricreli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

Hi electricreli

Thanks for getting back to us!

Have you tried upgrading to latest version of Windows 10 using Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Before upgrading to latest version of Windows 10, install all latest versions of device drivers for your computer. Make sure to download the latest versions of device drivers from either your computer manufacturer website or device manufacturer website.

You should also uninstall or disable third-party installed antivirus and firewall programs.

If nothing works you can try to disable or defer the feature update.

How to Disable Automatic Updates in Windows 10

Thanks for your response.  Here's the latest update.

1.  I tried upgrading to the latest Windows 10 version by using Windows 10 Update Assistant.

a.  It successfully downloaded and appeared to successfully install which is the farthest I ever got.  It required a restart.

b.  I restarted the PC and got a magenta screen that read "Working on updates 2%" and "Don't turn off your PC.  This will take a while."

c.  I left the PC and when I returned my screen said something like no operating system could be found against a black screen.

d.  Rebooted the PC and got a message that read, "Restoring your previous version of Windows..." which it did successfully.  Previously, it had never restored the previous version of Windows.

e.  I am back on the following:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1607
OSBuild: 14393.2007

2.  I have no idea whether a particular update is causing the problem.  Is there a way to pinpoint this?

3.  Followed instructions from How to Disable Automatic Updates in Windows 10

a.   "How to Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy" - Step 9 says to "Click on the Check for updates button in Windows Update to apply changes"; however, I have no "Check for updates" button.  See attached WindowsUpdate.PNG screenshot .  Thoughts?

b.  Incidentally, the Windows Update list included the following:

Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.261.1371.0).
Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.261.1369.0).
Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4023814).
Security Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB4011711) 32-Bit Edition.
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3114874) 32-Bit Edition.
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4011707) 32-Bit Edition.
2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4074590).
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - February 2018 (KB890830).
Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057).
Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB4011187) 32-Bit Edition.
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709.

b.  I installed Microsoft's Wushowhide Tool.  I am currently hiding the following updates. See attached WindowsUpdatesList1.PNG & WindowsUpdatesList2.PNG screenshots to see if these offer any insight.  There are differences from the list above.

Attached Files

Edited by electricreli, 19 February 2018 - 07:06 PM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

What you have achieved by following step 9 is to stop Windows 10 automatically downloading and installing updates.  

This is good for now as you can use to hide any update you want, what i cannot tell you is what is causing the upgrade to latest version of Windows 10 to fail.

I have created batch script to collect the upgrade logs that is only if the C:\$Windows.~BT folder exist if not batch script terminates.

After UpgradeLogs.bat batch script finish executing it will launch a folder, attached the Logs.zip archive file stored within this folder to your next post.

Attached Files

Edited by FreeBooter, 20 February 2018 - 05:55 AM.

Posted Image

#12 electricreli

electricreli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

What you have achieved by following step 9 is to stop Windows 10 automatically downloading and installing updates.  

This is good for now as you can use to hide any update you want, what i cannot tell you is what is causing the upgrade to latest version of Windows 10 to fail.

Unfortunately, I did not exactly achieve step 9 from "How to Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy".  Step 9 says to "Click on the Check for updates button in Windows Update to apply changes"; however, there is no "Check for updates" button on the screen. See attached screenshot named WindowsUpdate.PNG.  You will notice there is no "Check for updates" button or link.

I also ran wushowhide and hid all updates.  I double-checked it today, and it says there are no updates to hide; however, I am still in a viscous circle where Windows Update keeps automatically downloading the latest security updates and installs them, and then causes the computer to no longer boot until I run the command: "bcdboot C:\Windows /s P: /f ALL".  

I have created batch script to collect the upgrade logs that is only if the C:\$Windows.~BT folder exist if not batch script terminates.

After UpgradeLogs.bat batch script finish executing it will launch a folder, attached the Logs.zip archive file stored within this folder to your next post.

Thanks for the batch script.  I have run it and attached Logs.zip to this post.

Attached Files

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

Hi electricreli

Batch script for some reason have not executed correctly it should only execute commands if C:\$Windows.~BT folder exist and collect the log files within this folder also some of the commands not executed. When i was creating the batch script i have no way to test it as i don't have C:\$Windows.~BT folder so i'm not shocked by its not working.

Can you please upload following files to file sharing site and give us the download link.

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.app.log
  • C:\Windows\memory.dmp

The following log files are created when an upgrade fails, and the installation rollback is initiated:

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.err

Also if there any i need files stored within C:\Windows\MiniDump folder.

Edited by FreeBooter, 25 February 2018 - 04:17 PM.

Posted Image

#14 electricreli

electricreli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

Hi electricreli

Batch script for some reason have not executed correctly it should only execute commands if C:\$Windows.~BT folder exist and collect the log files within this folder also some of the commands not executed. When i was creating the batch script i have no way to test it as i don't have C:\$Windows.~BT folder so i'm not shocked by its not working.

Can you please upload following files to file sharing site and give us the download link.

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.app.log
  • C:\Windows\memory.dmp

The following log files are created when an upgrade fails, and the installation rollback is initiated:

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.err

Also if there any i need files stored within C:\Windows\MiniDump folder.

Thanks for your response.  Sorry for the late reply but I don't live with my mother so I have to wait until I have time to go to her place.

Attached is the file 20180301_Win10_Logs.zip which contains the following:

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log - in panther folder in zip file
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml - in panther folder in zip file

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log - in Rollback folder in zip file
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.err - in Rollback folder in zip file

I made sure that I showed all files that were hidden but I still was unable to find the following:

• C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log - no C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\ folder found
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.app.log - no C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\ folder found
  • C:\Windows\memory.dmp - no C:\Windows\memory.dmp file found

Thanks in advance for taking time to review these!   :oneeye:

Attached Files

Edited by electricreli, 01 March 2018 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users