Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD External HDD 1 TB not showing nor working at all after turning off PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IBrokeMyHDD

IBrokeMyHDD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

My Specs:

Processor AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Processor

Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

RAM 8.0 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 16299), 64-bit

I've been trying to fix this problem for a week now and I honestly don't know what else to do.

So far this is all the info I've got and everything I've tried, hope it's some use:

1. External HDD works fine on any other computer except this one
  2. Other WD External HDD don't work either on this computer
  3. I've tried uninstalling all the drivers and downloading them again, with no change whatsoever
  4. WD Drive shows up as Read-Only on the WD Driver Hub, and tells me I should format it, but when I tried to use WD Driver Utilities to do just that it would fail with this message: "An exception occurred during the operation, making the result invalid."
  5. When opened, disk management ask me if I want to initialise the disk, but when prompt to it fails and says: The Request Failed Due To A Fatal Device Hardware Error.
  6. The External HDD shows up as My Passport without the name I gave it(which does show up when plugged into other computers) and with 0 bytes
  7. I do not have anything important inside the drive, I've already formatted the external HDD in NTFS just to be sure, nothing changed
  8. This issue caused me so much frustration that I ended up restarting my entire PC to factory setting... which didn't help at all

Cause of the Issue:

I was playing The Surge from the WD External HDD when the game crashed so I turned off the computer, but when it took too long to close I just pressed the button and put my PC out of its misery. Which I extremely regret now, since it hasn't worked in this specific PC since then

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

I am assuming you formatted the drive on another PC as the Windows 10 PC does not detect it, correct?

The first thing I would try is a different cable and every port on the computer. 

If a new cable does not work Disable Fast Startup. Once Fast Startup is disabled open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X  as admin. New versions of 10 use Powershell and should work with these commands. 

powercfg –h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Boot the computer. Is the drive detected? If not install Partition Wizard on the Windows 10 computer that does not detect the drive. Attach the 1TB drive and run the program. You should see your 1TB drive detected. 

All steps on Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until you click Apply allowing you to back out should you make a mistake.

Wipe the disk using zero quick fill. This will take awhile on the 1TB drive. Make sure you have selected the correct drive. No data can be recovered after the wipe

Create a new ntfs primary partition

#3 IBrokeMyHDD

IBrokeMyHDD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Hey John, thank you for your time. Sadly neither disabling fast startup or partition wizard worked. Partition Wizard had all options greyed out except for Partition Recovery which I used in hopes to fix something(The disk showed up as a partition Lost/Broken of 645GB), I tried to recover it but it only became a lost/broke partition of 1TB which showed the same issues.

I'm starting to think I may have damaged the USB ports on my motherboard somehow, since all evidence points towards a hardware problem(The Disk works perfectly in my other computers). And I've already tried pretty much everything to do software-wise(including a full-on reset of OS, the external HDD and BIOS).

What do you think?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

Please do the following so we can confirm this is a hardware problem. I don't know your computer but if it came preinstalled with Windows 8.1 or 10 you will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings.

Download Mint Cinnamon. This is a linux distro that will run in RAM and from your DVD. You can burn the DVD on any computer that has Windows 7 or later by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the distro. Do not input anything until you are at the Mint Desktop. Attach a USB flash drive to your computer. If Mint can mount the USB flash drive you should here a sound and a USB icon appear on the desktop. If there is data on the drive a File Manager Window will open.

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=246

It probably is hardware but this will only cost you the price of a DVD to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users