Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusion with installing RAM

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 psychotron

psychotron

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hello. I'm using Windows 7 and have decided that I need more RAM. I am very confused about this though. Using the Crucial website, I know how to get compatible RAM, but after searching the net I'm extremely confused.

I have 6GB RAM right now and would like 8GB. Would it be best if I buy one more 2GB RAM stick and just put that into the empty slot or should I buy two 4MB sticks and use those (in alternating slots, I assume). If I get two 4GB RAM sticks, could I leave two of my 2GB RAM sticks in there for a total of 10GB? I'm wondering what would be best.

Thanks,

Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

We need more information in order to help you out.  Please post the make and model of this computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Most motherboards now support Dual Channel operation.  The benefit of running the RAM in dual channel is that the throughput speed is almost doubled.  In order to run in dual channel you will need a matched pair of modules.  The Speccy Snapshot will provide us with the make and model of the RAM module you have installed currently.  I will do a search for a match to the module you have installed and provide you with a link to it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

right your system may not support the extra RAM so please give us your hardware info.

Without knowing hardware information its foolish to give suggestions.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 psychotron

psychotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

I guess that's why it's so hard to find info on Google. I don't really feel comfortable publishing anything, but I did a scan from Crucial and they recommended:

• 2GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM (CT2356142)
  • 4GB DDR3L-1866 (CT2347478)
  • and 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM (CT7337996)

All of them are DDR3, CL=13, unbuffered NON-ECC, 1.35V, 512Meg x 64. It also shows either DDR3 PC3-14900, PC3-12800, and PC3-12800. Hopefully, I put that in a way that helps because I don't know what it means.

Also, I've been wondering what the difference between the 8GB Kits they offer. One is just DDR3L-1600 (PC3-12800), then DDR3L-1600 "Unbuffered" (PC3-12800), and then DDR3L-1866 (PC3-14900). They get progressively more expensive.

They also recommended MX500 250GB SATA 2.5-inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal SSD. From what I understand, this is a hard drive? 250 GB would be a downgrade in terms of hard drive space, but I use less than 250 GB on my computer anyway. 

Also, I could upgrade from Win7 to Win10, although I'd prefer not to unless it would help.

My RAM speed is 1333.

Here are my specs for this computer (from DxDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------

• Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
  • System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
  • System Model: p6680t
  • BIOS: 11/05/10 15:07:18 Ver: 6.14
  • Processor: Intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
  • Memory: 6144MB RAM
  • Available OS Memory: 6008MB RAM
  • Page File: 5337MB used, 6674MB available
  • Windows Dir: C:\Windows
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 11
  • DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  • User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
  • System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
  • DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Thanks for the help,

Brad

Edited by psychotron, 27 January 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

For future reference dont worry about posting a speccy screenshot, its not going to show off your social security code or credit card information, at best it will show off your real name but even that... meh you already said your name is brad so we know that anyhow if that is your name but its not like I am going to ask you on a date or something

In any case it does look like a 8GB upgrade will work

I will just get the 8GB kit if I were you.

As for any other possible upgrades is this a full size desktop or small form factor?

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 January 2018 - 04:55 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 psychotron

psychotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

It is a full-sized. I'm just "one of those people". The 8GB kit was what I was also thinking because I thought it would be best to get rid of the old stuff, as far as the options they offer for the 8GB kits, does it really matter (unbuffered, etc). Otherwise, I'll just get the cheapest.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Yeah the motherboard doesnt specify, so whatever you can afford should do fine.

As for what else to do, i will look into the SSD option.

While yes up front it offers less space for more money (a 250GB SSD is about $60 to $100) but the payoff is going to be pure speed.

A SSD is faster due to it not being a traditional drive, a SSD will make any hard drive look like its running at a snails pace.

And if this is a full size desktop, well if it supports more than one hard drive in its bay then nothing stopping you from using both a SSD and a platter drive.

A high capacity platter drive is dirt cheap these days, you may be able to find a 2TB drive of space for well under $60 if you know where to look (newegg is good for this if you are in the united states and amazon offers good prices too if you dig deep enough.)

You can use a solid state drive for the operating system and the platter drive for storage, its what a lot of us do right now (I myself do this with owning a sandisk 250GB SSD for my operating systems as i use more than Windows here and two platter drives for storage)

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 January 2018 - 05:30 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

For future reference dont worry about posting a speccy screenshot, its not going to show off your social security code or credit card information, at best it will show off your real name but even that... meh you already said your name is brad so we know that anyhow if that is your name but its not like I am going to ask you on a date or something

In any case it does look like a 8GB upgrade will work

I will just get the 8GB kit if I were you.

As for any other possible upgrades is this a full size desktop or small form factor?

You may not believe that this is important information needed to help the OP.  But the fact of the matter is that the speccy cam provide us with the make and model of the module which is already installed, and use this information to provide them with a link to purchase another of the exact same modules.  But more important, it can provide us with the make and model of the motherboard to determine if the board supports dual channel.  I'm beginning to suspect that you have never used the Speccy and aren't aware of the wealth of knowledge it can impart.

I would suggest that if you don't respect what has been requested you could at least keep your opinions to your self.  All you stated is a matter of opinion... period.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

@ psuchotron

Please disregard madman's suggestion regarding the Speccy.  The version which is created for the post here has no personal information.  Below is a Speccy snapshot of my computer.  You will see what all is included, and exactly what isn't included.  This is a program which is used quite widely here at Bleeping Computer.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ez8ituNGR4UQjKnhuDDqiaB

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

Well i was still able to look up the viable information, but if he doesnt want to use speccy... well fine i can respect that.

And no need to get angry here dc3, i can understand any reluctance to not divulge speecy info especially if its not something they are familiar with.

Not everyone is tech savvy, and one must learn at their own rate.

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 January 2018 - 05:53 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

Well i was still able to look up the viable information, but if he doesnt want to use speccy... well fine i can respect that.

And no need to get angry here dc3, i can understand any reluctance to not divulge speecy info especially if its not something they are familiar with.

Not everyone is tech savvy, and one must learn at their own rate.

Which is why I posted a Speccy of one of my own computers. 

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

And good on that, but do respect its it up to psychotron to give us more info.

What he provided so far was decent enough at least for me as I was able to track down the machine he is running via google.

Granted I understand where you are coming from dc3 though as it is more helpful to have speccy around but if they are not into tech like we are i can understand not wanting to post up certain information, not everyone knows of speccy so I can understand the hesitation.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 psychotron

psychotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

I think I will get the SSD too. I do appreciate the extra effort to help. If this works, it will save me a lot of money.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

Yes believe me a solid state drive is a great investment the only things you're going to be needing to install it will be a SATA cable and a adapter to install it in your desktop. SATA cables are dirt cheap

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270093

And the adapter isn't that expensive either
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994085

Just a note a few examples if you need a different Marketplace just ask :-)

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

In your first post you state that you need more RAM, but you didn't explain why, please do so.  I would hate to go through all of this only to discover that you have another problem which is causing problems.

Below is the information regarding the RAM used in this computer.

Memory upgrade information:

Supports DDR3 DIMMs only

Dual channel memory architecture

Four DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets

DIMM types:
        PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
        PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)

Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs

Maximum memory only if using 4GB DDR3 DIMM modules

As you can see the motherboard doesn't want to see modules exceeding 4GB.

Now... regarding the Speccy.  I posted the link to view my Speccy Snapshot.  If you have taken a look through this you probably already realize that it does not divulge any hidden secrets or personal information.  But the information provided does give insight to other potential problems, like the S.M.A.R.T. Attributes which can indicate an existing or potential problem with a SSD/HDD.  But since you have decided to refuse to use this tool we will take another approach.

Please download and install CPU-Z.  CPU-Z will update itself and then run a scan of your computer.

Click on the SPD tab.  You will see an image like the one below.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   23.63KB   0 downloads

You will see Memory Slot Selection, you click on this to change the DIMM slots to see what is installed.

When you find your installed RAM you will see that the Manufacturer and the Part number listed, post this information in your topic.

Regarding Crucial SSDs.

Crucial manufacturers SSDs, they want to sell these storage devices, so they advertise these products along with what they determine is compatible RAM modules.  SSDs are recognized as being appreciably faster than a HDD.  Its read and write speeds are much faster than the HDD.  You need to be aware that there are a plethora or manufacturers out there competing for your business, shop around, read reviews so you are aware of what is available and what would be applicable for your use.  You already have a HDD which you can eventually remove the operating system which is now on it and then use it as a storage drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users