Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undoing Glary Disk Cleaning with System Restore?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

Hi,

When using Glary Disk Cleaner I accidentally ran a clean (I only wanted to do an analyse for now to see which files were slated for cleaning and possibly to exclude some).  

Can I use System Restore to go back in time and get the files back again?  Would files that Glary Disk Cleaner has deleted - like temporary app and Windows files - be included in the restore point?  I am using Windows 7 Pro and have a restore point from a couple of days ago, before the incident.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

System Restore is a recovery tool for Windows that allows you to reverse certain kinds of changes made to the operating system.

System Restore is used to return important Windows files and settings - like drivers, registry keys, system files, installed programs, and more - back to previous versions and settings.

Do the system restore.....you have nothing to lose.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

System Restore is not a time machine and does not know or care anything about your personal files/folder (images, emails, music, documents, etc.).

Were none of the file recoverable from a recent bacup?

Depending on the circumstances of what was deleted, from where it was deleted, the configuration of your system and a few other things the Window Restore Previous Version feature may be useful in healing the self inflicted wound to your system.

Here's how it works:

Windows 7 has a Restore Previous Version feature that you can investigate.

Note that Restore Previous Version (RPV) can only be use on drives/volumes that are being monitored by Windows and sometimes the only volume that is being monitored is the C drive where Windows is usually installed:

In this example RPV would only be available on folders on the C drive or C volume:

[attachment=201861:1.jpg]

If you attempt to use RPV for folders on volumes D or E (which are not being monitored) you would see a message like this:

[attachment=201862:2.jpg]

Right click the folder the files were in before the cut (or permanent delete) and choose Restore Previous Version:

[attachment=201863:3.jpg]

It could take a while for a list of previous versions to show up so be patient.

RPV keeps copies of your folders (even personal folders) and accumulates previous versions based on your System Restore and backup activity so there will be a previous version for every Restore Point (if the drive is being monitored) and every backup listed by date:

[attachment=201864:4.jpg]

In the above example, the one marked Yesterday is when my system made a Restore Point at 1:09 AM and that matches up with the dates in my System Restore calendar.

Then click Restore and respond in the affirmative:

[attachment=201865:5.jpg]

Depending on what RPV has to do and how big the folder is in content, it could take some time since the entire folder will be restored and not just some file(s):

[attachment=201866:6.jpg]

If all goes well you should see this:

[attachment=201867:7.jpg]

Read more about Restore Previous Version here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/previous-versions-files-faq#1TC=windows-7

If anyone cares to see if it really works use a folder with a few files in it and make sure when you right click a folder that there are Previous Versions listed, then delete  a file in that folder and restore it to an earlier date/time.

Edited by joseibarra, 28 January 2018 - 11:11 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:34 AM

Many thanks for your explanations.

As only temporary files have been deleted in this case (which I would most probably delete later anyway), I don't think it is going to be worthwhile restoring the files.  No important or personal files were deleted and I'm pretty thorough when it comes to backing up files otherwise (like photos and documents etc.).

Nevertheless, it is good to know about the System Restore and Restore Previous Versions features - what they can and can't do - so I can use them in the future if needed.  I'm going to give Restore Previous Versions a test shortly with a test folder.

#5 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

I found ShadowExplorer useful.  This free tool allowed me to successfully view shadow copies and restore selected files.

http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

Shadow Explorer is a great piece of software. It will let you pull any file out of a restore point including your personal files. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users