Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting Seagate Seatools for DOS on a bootable flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RhinoCan

RhinoCan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

I am trying to help my brother, who is NOT computer savvy, with a problem he is having. As per the pinned suggestion in this subforum, I want to run Seagate Seatools for DOS, ideally from a bootable flash drive, to make sure his hard drive isn't hosed. (He's getting a NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM stopcode in Windows 10 when he tries to boot up.)

I found and downloaded the DOS version of Seagate Seatools but it is an ISO file. Am I correct in believing that an ISO file always implies that it needs to be burned to a DVD? Or can I put it on a flash drive and use it there "as is"? If I do that, will it be a *bootable* flash drive because that's what I need (I think). The computer won't boot so I don't have any way to get to a DOS prompt (unless the Command Prompts in the Repair Windows options will work for this purpose.)

I've done a bit of digging and know that various specific bootable flash drives can be created, such purposes as Windows 10 installation media or Memtest86 but I don't know if there's a generic way to make a flash drive bootable for *any* program I happen to need to run.

Can someone enlighten me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

Use Rufus with the iso file.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Select MBR partition scheme. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start. Backup anything on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

If the computer is UEFI you will need to select CSM or Legacy Boot in order for Seagate to boot. SecureBoot also needs to be disabled if you have that setting.

If you want to boot a CD you can burn the iso on any Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

#3 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

Use Rufus with the iso file.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Select MBR partition scheme. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start. Backup anything on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

If the computer is UEFI you will need to select CSM or Legacy Boot in order for Seagate to boot. SecureBoot also needs to be disabled if you have that setting.

If you want to boot a CD you can burn the iso on any Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Something isn't going according to plan.

I've downloaded Rufus 2.18.1213 Portable and installed it. The various prompts/options read as follows:

Device: Lexar (E:) [64GB]

Partition Scheme: MBR for UEFI [The computer has UEFI.]

File System: Large FAT32

Cluster Size: 32KB (Default)

New Volume Label: Lexar

Check device for bad blocks (1 pass): checked

Quick format: checked but greyed out

Create a bootable disk: showed FreeDOS so I clicked on the icon beside it, located my ISO file and clicked open

As soon as I did that, I got the message: The image is either non-bootable or it uses a boot or compression method that is not supported by Rufus.

Clearly, it doesn't like the ISO file. How do I handle that?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Download UBCD. Use Rufus with the iso. Boot UBCD and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop select Disk Health. Run the short and long tests. Before the tests you can look at the attributes tab for any red rows which would indicate a failing drive. Disk Health on Parted Magic runs Gsmartcontrol.

http://mirror.sysadminguide.net/ubcd/ubcd537.iso

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/index.php/Screenshots

#5 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

Download UBCD. Use Rufus with the iso. Boot UBCD and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop select Disk Health. Run the short and long tests. Before the tests you can look at the attributes tab for any red rows which would indicate a failing drive. Disk Health on Parted Magic runs Gsmartcontrol.

http://mirror.sysadminguide.net/ubcd/ubcd537.iso

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/index.php/Screenshots

I was able to generate a flash drive of UBCD just fine but it will not boot. The computer is an Acer Aspire TC-105 desktop with UEFI and is just coming up on the 4th anniversary of its manufacturing date. I have Secure Boot turned off, Boot Manager enabled, and the Removable Drive is first in the boot order but when I hit F12 (the key that brings up Boot Manager on this computer), the *only* thing on the menu is Boot Manager.

I should point out that I've been trying to get this computer working for weeks now and many of the bootable flash drives I've used have had similar issues: some boot up just fine but others absolutely will not boot at all. I really don't know why.

I don't see any way to upload a screen cap of the root directory of this latest flash drive so I've typed it out:

• boot [folder]
  • pmagic [folder]
  • System Volume Information [greyed out folder]
  • ubcd [folder]
  • autorun.inf
  • ldlinux.sys
  • license.txt
  • syslinux.cfg

Is that what I should be seeing or has something gone wrong with the creation of the flash drive?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

Is F12 enabled in the UEFI settings. Also check to see if there is a Legacy or CSM  mode under the UEFI mode. UBCD should boot under Legacy Mode. You should also see the key using F12 when using Legacy Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycrBtjuJHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMLoYmvNyg

#7 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

Is F12 enabled in the UEFI settings. Also check to see if there is a Legacy or CSM  mode under the UEFI mode. UBCD should boot under Legacy Mode. You should also see the key using F12 when using Legacy Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycrBtjuJHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMLoYmvNyg

I watched both videos - the second one twice - but *my* BIOS doesn't have the options depicted in the second video.

I have an Authentication menu which has the following:

System Boot State - User [Can't be changed]

Secure Boot Mode State - Disabled [Can't be changed]

Secure Boot - if this is Disabled (which it wasn't), that's all that's on that menu. If it is Enabled, I also get a Secure Boot Mode which defaults to Standard but can be changed to Custom and a Default key Provisioning which is Enabled and can't be changed. 

If I set Secure Boot Mode to Custom, it gives me an option to Manage All Factory Keys (PK, KEK, db, dbx) and an Install Default Secure Book Keys.

I set Secure Boot back to Disabled after I determined those options. 

I also have a Boot Options menu which has the following:

Launch CSM: Never [Can be changed to Always]

Boot Priority Order:

1st Boot Device: [Removable Device]

2nd Boot Device: [Windows Boot Manager]

3rd Boot Device: [CD&DVD]

4th Boot Device: [LAN]WW

Hard Disk Drive Priority: [Press Enter. When I do, it says 1st Boot Device is Windows Boot Manager.]

Optical Disk Drive Priority: [Press Enter. When I do, it just has a title, Optical Disk Drive Priority, but nothing beneath it.]

Removable Device Priority: [Press Enter. When I do, it just has a title, Removable Device Priority, but nothing beneath it.]

Network Device Priority: [Press Enter. When I do, it just has a title, Network Device Priority, but nothing beneath it.]

Boot Menu: [Enabled]

D2D Recovery: [Enabled]

Fast Boot: [Disabled]

Quiet Boot: [Enabled]

Halt On: [All, but keyboard]

How do I get Legacy Mode in this BIOS? 

FWIW, the BIOS is Version 2.15.1236. Copyright 2002-2013, Acer Inc. Do I need to update the BIOS perhaps? If so, how would I do that?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

Change CSM boot to Always. Reboot with the USB flash drive and tap F12.

Edit: you will need to change it back to never after booting the USB and diagnosing the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2018 - 01:07 PM.

#9 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

Change CSM boot to Always. Reboot with the USB flash drive and tap F12.

Edit: you will need to change it back to never after booting the USB and diagnosing the drive.

Changing CSM to Always solved that little problem! Thank you, I wish I'd known that trick a couple of weeks back!

I looked at the attributes and three of them were "pre-failure": Raw Error Read Rate, Spin-up Time and Reallocated Sector Count. The rest had a type of Old Age. ALL of the attributes had "never" in the Failed column.

I ran the short test and the drive passed just fine: "Completed without error - 100% completed - Lifetime hours = 10307. 

You didn't specify which long test to run so I assumed Extended Self Test (as opposed to Extended Conveyance Test if I'm remembering the wording correctly). *That* test failed after just a few minutes: "Test Result completed with read failure." The log says it completed 10% of the test and the LBA of the first error is 30499320.

Am I correct in assuming that this means the drive has got at least one bad sector, starting at the LBA cited and that I now need to identify *all* the bad sectors and mark them bad, then (probably) reinstall Windows so that it avoids the bad sectors? 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

A failed long (Extended Self Test) test indicates a failing drive. If the drive is Seagate you can use Rufus with the Seatools for DOS iso to confirm what GsmartControl gave. Seatools for DOS should boot using CSM.

Under the attributes tab in Gsmartcontrol what is the RAW number for both Reallocated Sectors and Pending Allocated Sectors?

#11 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

A failed long (Extended Self Test) test indicates a failing drive. If the drive is Seagate you can use Rufus with the Seatools for DOS iso to confirm what GsmartControl gave. Seatools for DOS should boot using CSM.

Under the attributes tab in Gsmartcontrol what is the RAW number for both Reallocated Sectors and Pending Allocated Sectors?

I *think* the drive must be a Western Digital. The basic drive information says "/dev/sda, 1.00 TB, WDC WD10EZ-EX-21M2NA0". The WDC indicates Western Digital Corporation, right? If that's not conclusive, I'll power down and open the case; there will surely be a logo on the drive. 

As for the RAW numbers:

Reallocated Sector Count has a Raw value of 0

Current Pending Sector Count has a Raw value of 552. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

Current Pending Sector Count has a Raw value of 552: That is bad. Current Pending Sectors are sectors that are waiting to be reallocated but cannot be read. Because you have zero Reallocated Sectors that indicates the Pending Sectors will never be reallocated. That is most likely why the long test failed.

Western Digital has a diagnostic tool for DOS v5.27 and fortunately this is under the HDD/Diagnostic menu of UBCD.

#13 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

I've run both the quick and extended tests in the Western Digital 5.2.7 set.

The quick test went fine and ended with "Text completed without error. Error/status code: 0000".

The extended test did not go nearly as well and ended with "Too many errors found. Contact Technical Support. Error/status code: 0225".

Is this fixable or does my brother need another hard drive? If he does replace the hard drive, does he also have to buy a new copy of Windows? The computer came with Windows pre-installed and he's not sure if he even got a key, let alone where the paper work is. I do have a full backup of the system from the last time I installed  Windows but before installing any further apps (other than Malware Bytes).

The timing of this problem is curious. Very long story short, my brother, who is very naive about computers, got fooled by some malware and swindled out of some money. The swindlers were also allowed on his computer and installed malware of some kind. I'm pretty sure they installed at least a keylogger and possibly a lot more besides. When I realized what had happened, the bank advised us to get a professional cleaning done on the computer, among other things. I determined what a professional cleaning normally entails - wiping the hard drive with something like DBAN, then reinstalling Windows - and set about doing that. I could NOT get a DBAN flash drive to boot from that computer - I didn't know about the trick you taught me today - and eventually used diskpart to clean the drive. Then I reinstalled Windows. All seemed fine the day I did that but the next day, the computer wouldn't boot. I reinstalled Windows a second time, made a full backup with Macrium, then had him reinstall his programs. (Just two games that he got from the Windows Store.) All was well for a couple of days, then it wouldn't boot any more. One of the stopcodes was something about CONFIG_FILE_something_something but the last couple of stopcodes said NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM. I ran memtest86 but that was clean so I figured the hard drive was the next candidate, which brought me here.

Could my efforts to fix the computer have damaged the computer somehow? Could the swindlers have damaged the hard drive somehow? Or is this just an unfortunate coincidence?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

I highly doubt what you did had anything to do with the drive failing the long test. If anything it was a coincidence. I do recommend you purchase a new drive though.

That error code is in the below page and indicates a new drive  should be purchased. 

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=11711

#15 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

I highly doubt what you did had anything to do with the drive failing the long test. If anything it was a coincidence. I do recommend you purchase a new drive though.

That error code is in the below page and indicates a new drive  should be purchased. 

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=11711

I'm relieved to find that the drive failure is likely just a coincidence. What are the implications for Windows 10 if he simply replaces the drive? Will he also need to buy a new copy of Windows?

Also, can you point me to any tips for buying a replacement drive? I'm inclined not to buy Western Digital since this is the manufacturer of the failing drive but maybe that's unreasonable. I've had a number of Seagates over the years and can't recall ever having a problem with them. The current drive is 1TB and not an SSD; He can scoop up a similar internal drive for as little as $60 (Canadian) locally. Mind you, he doesn't put a lot on the computer anyway and may appreciate an SSD simply because it is supposedly much faster (or so I'm told, I don't have any SSDs on my computers.) Would he see that improvement in his games? He mostly plays World of Warships and Asphalt 8. He also watches YouTube a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users