Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RhinoCan

RhinoCan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

This question refers to my ADATA flash drive (UV128/32GB).

I seem to have inadvertently wiped my flash drive. When I look at it in Windows 10 Disk Management, it shows up as "Disk 1, Partition 1" and is described as Simple Basic RAW (Healthy Active Partition) on the upper half of the page. On the lower half of the page, Windows says it is "Removable 28.91GB Online". In File Explorer, Windows assigns it a drive letter, E:, but puts a question mark by the icon. I can't look at the contents of the drive in File Explorer. When I try to format it in File Explorer, I don't get a Format option. When I try to format it in Windows Disk Management, I get a message that says "Virtual Disk Manager - The system cannot find the file specified". When I use Diskpart, I can see the disk in the list of disks. I can select the disk but not clean it. I can create a primary partition on the flash drive and activate but I can't format it.

A website I was looking at (Fossbytes.com) said that flash drive manufacturers often provide proprietary utilities to help with jobs like reformatting the drives they make. I went to the ADATA website but couldn't see any such utility there. (They have a utility called UDFtogo but the manual doesn't talk about any ability to reformat the drive.) I've tried asking for help on their website but the form you have to complete doesn't work properly. It insists on a serial number but there is no serial number on the drive. As an alternative, it gives you a part number field but I can't enter anything into it.

The drive never gave me any trouble until I attempted to install a USB-bootable hard drive test utility on it earlier today so I very much doubt the drive has failed due to wear and tear; I think the utility I tried to install just hammered the formatting on the drive. I'd appreciate your help in fixing my flash drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Try using Partition Wizard. Download and run the program. Delete All partitions. If Delete all partitions does not work then Wipe the drive zero quick. Make sure you select the correct drive. Create a new primary partition formatted NTFS. All steps are virtual and will complete when apply is clicked.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

If partition wizard does not work then there are bootable options.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

I agree. When this type of thing happens to me, Partition Wizard fixes it right away.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Try using Partition Wizard. Download and run the program. Delete All partitions. If Delete all partitions does not work then Wipe the drive zero quick. Make sure you select the correct drive. Create a new primary partition formatted NTFS. All steps are virtual and will complete when apply is clicked.

I don't think this is working. I installed the program - and let it update to the newest version - and have done what you suggested. The Mini-tool says: "Flash3 NTFS 28.9 GB 0% Used" in the upper part of the page. On the lower part of the page it says "ADATA USB Flash Drive USB, Removable, MBR, 28.91" then "*;Flash3  28.91GB  65.31MB  28.82 GB" All of that *seems* fine to my untrained eye.

If

However, when I try to look at the drive in Windows (10), it doesn't appear at all in File Explorer under This PC. If I remove it, I get the "removal sound" from Windows and MiniTool notices that the drive has been removed and offers to refresh its disk list. When I put the flash drive back in and click OK, the display says "Disk 2 MBR unformatted".

Am I doing something wrong or is this flash drive toast?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

I'm not sure what the 65MB of data would be. In Disk Management is there a drive letter shown for the flash drive? Can you post a screenshot of Disk Managment? Have you tried this flash drive in another computer?

#6 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

I don't think this is working. I installed the program - and let it update to the newest version - and have done what you suggested. The Mini-tool says: "Flash3 NTFS 28.9 GB 0% Used" in the upper part of the page. On the lower part of the page it says "ADATA USB Flash Drive USB, Removable, MBR, 28.91" then "*;Flash3  28.91GB  65.31MB  28.82 GB" All of that *seems* fine to my untrained eye.

If

However, when I try to look at the drive in Windows (10), it doesn't appear at all in File Explorer under This PC. If I remove it, I get the "removal sound" from Windows and MiniTool notices that the drive has been removed and offers to refresh its disk list. When I put the flash drive back in and click OK, the display says "Disk 2 MBR unformatted".

Am I doing something wrong or is this flash drive toast?

Good news!!

The penny dropped and I realized what I was doing wrong! I hadn't clicked on Apply. Somehow, I'd managed to misunderstand that despite it being spelled out exactly. As soon as I clicked on Apply, it started to do its thing and my drive is now properly reformatted. It holds data again and is visible in File Explorer.

Thanks for pointing me to the solution!! I felt sure there was some way to fix this drive :-)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Your Welcome, 

Glad you got it sorted out. That is the nice thing about partition managers. All the steps are virtual and will not complete allowing you to back out if you make a major mistake.

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

Good that the OP got his working but I'll post this for anyone else in the future

I also have Adata usb drives and I was able to get them working again by using Adata's Recovery Tool.

You can find the down load from Adata here:

http://www.adata.com/en/ss/usbdiy/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users