Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Turns On But No Display (might be windows corruption)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 owenslasher

owenslasher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

My issue is when I turn on my laptop it starts up I can see the lights on the side of my laptop indicating it's turned on, the disc will spin when I insert something in but the display is off. I believe it has something to do with Windows Corruption because this issue occured after my computer crashed during a system restore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

Do you see the BIOS splash screen when it starts?  If not, this may be more serious than just a Windows corruption.

Most laptops have a video port on the side - does yours?  It's usually either VGA (on older models) or HDMI (on newer models).
Do you have one - and if so, can you try plugging it into an external monitor/TV to see if it works?

Beyond that, what is the make and model of your laptop?

Which version of Windows are you using?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 owenslasher

owenslasher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

My laptop does has a HDMI port on the side of my computer. I've tried plugging it into an external monitor however nothing happens. I was running windows 10 and the make of my laptop was HP. I don't see any BIOS splash screen when it starts up it's just a black blank screen as if it hasn't even turned on.

Edited by owenslasher, 27 January 2018 - 07:56 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

If you don't see the BIOS splash screen (usually just a round HP logo), then the video card isn't working.

This means you can't even get into the boot menu to run diagnostics - nor can you get into Startup Repair in order to try to repair the operating system.

Have you tried removing the battery and the power cord - then holding the power button down for 30 seconds.
Then insert the power cord (but not the battery) and attempt to start it up then?

Beyond that you may want to post over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert hardware assistance:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Edited by usasma, 27 January 2018 - 08:15 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users