Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuration registry database is corrupt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Northeast

Northeast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

My laptop runs W8.1. Since a few weeks the boot-up is running longer than usual, but otherwise the laptop works fine. I checked the Task Manager and noticed, that Windows Fault Reporting (or WER) takes a lot of HD activity and time (see attached file), but I couldn't find any WER log files to check what is going on. I looked into the eventviewer under application and found several Error messages with this text: The configuration registry database is corrupt. (C/users/myname/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat). I ran sfc /scannow and the message was...."did not find any integrity violations".
Is there a connection between the WER activity and the error messages in the eventviewer?
Is there a fix to it?
I appreciate your comments very much.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Northeast

Northeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

Dear dc3:
Thank you for your advice. I did as outlined.
No issues found.
Best regards
Northeast

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

A quick word about the Event Viewer.  I guarantee that each time you look in the Event Viewer you will see errors.  The information in the Event Viewer usually is ambiguous at best.  Unless you have had experience reading these errors and know what to look for your first impression is that the computer has a problem.  I would suggest ignoring this.

Windows 8.1 has Fast startup which has been known to cause similar problems.  Let's turn it off and see if the problem stops.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type control in the Run box, then click OK

When the Control Panel opens select Power Options

In the upper left portion of this page you will see Choose what the power buttons do

In the page that open you will see Change settings that not currently available, click/tap on this.

Under Shutdown settings remove the check from the Turn on fast startup, then click/tap on Save changes.

Restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Northeast

Northeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

Dear dc3: Thank you again for your detailed advice. I did so, and it looks like, that this helped. The computer is much less hectic than before. And WER appears very briefly - if at all. Again, thank you for your professional help. Best regards Northeast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users