Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excess Resource Usage

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn270

Marilyn270

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662999/multiple-processes-of-intel-security-assist - Hamluis.

I happened to be looking at Task Manager because my CPU usage seemed awfully high, and found multiple occurrences of Intel Security Assist running. I mean, a lot of them. That led me to do a Google search, and I came across this post.  I want to share my experiences here, since this was a tough program/process for me to get rid of.

Each of these Intel Security Assist processes were eating up a little of my CPU resources by themselves, but all of them together added up to a significant number. After more Google searches, I ran across an Intel Support Q&A where Intel stated the Intel Security Assist process is used by Enterprises (businesses) and is not needed on a home computer. So what the heck was it doing on my home HP laptop in the first place???

Anyway, at this point I found your post and first disabled Intel Security Assist in Startup. Then, I went into Services.msc and also disabled both the Intel Security Assist service and the Intel Security Assist Helper service. I rebooted, expecting the redundant processes to be gone from task manager but they were not gone!  Now I had 39 occurrences of the Intel Security Assist process running at the same time! Who knows what all of those processes were used for and what the heck were they doing?

It was at that point that I decided to just delete the program using Control Panel/Programs and, hopefully, eradicate it. I saw that it was installed in 2015 which is when I purchased this laptop, so it must have come bundled on my laptop courtesy of HP. Prior to deleting it, even though my research showed me it was probably safe to delete, I did take a manual system restore point. I then deleted the Intel Security Assist program using Control Panel, and rebooted. TA DA! It is finally gone. I have now recovered tons of computer resources which I feel like were stolen from me when I purchased this computer. 

Everything is running fine now without Intel Security Assist. I just wanted to add my reply because this post really helped me a lot. If others are still experiencing problems after disabling the process, I wanted them to know it is safe to just delete it and get rid of it for good. FYI, my laptop is running Windows 10, in case someone wants to know.

That's it. Thanks for being here when I needed help. Appreciate it.

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2018 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users