Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access certain webpages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kriscarlsson

kriscarlsson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

Hello!

First time poster here.

I have a couple of peculiarities on my desktop running Windows 10.

About a year ago, I tried getflix.com.au, in an attempt to access american Netflix (I'm Swedish). I couldn't get it to work, but after that whenever I enter bbc.co.uk, I end up at getflix.com.au

BBC.com works, but is slow to load and certain sections on the bbc.com page takes me to getflix (the ones linking to a bbc.co.uk page). I have tried on different browsers, uninstalling and reinstalling, and clearing cache without results. Any ideas on *why* this is and how to fix it?

Just yesterday, Spotify.com and the Spotify app became inaccesible on my desktop. When I couldn't get the app to go online I uninstalled it but now I cannot even open spotify.com.

Netflix does not work either on the desktop, while it works on my PS4 (also connected directly with a chord).

Most other pages and services function just fine and I can access the pages on other units connected to the same router (via WIFI).

I get the feeling any services that are region or land specific are being screwed up on my desktop, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if I'm being unclear here, I'm kind of confused.

Thanks in advance for any help!

/

Kris

Netflix does not work either on the desktop, while it works on my PS4 (also connected directly with a chord).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

You might want to try a VPN.

#3 kriscarlsson

kriscarlsson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

You might want to try a VPN.

To be honest, I think it was the VPN that messed me up. I just want regular vanilla regional access to the same stuff my WIFI can access.

#4 RhinoCan

RhinoCan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Hello!

First time poster here.

I have a couple of peculiarities on my desktop running Windows 10.

About a year ago, I tried getflix.com.au, in an attempt to access american Netflix (I'm Swedish). I couldn't get it to work, but after that whenever I enter bbc.co.uk, I end up at getflix.com.au

BBC.com works, but is slow to load and certain sections on the bbc.com page takes me to getflix (the ones linking to a bbc.co.uk page). I have tried on different browsers, uninstalling and reinstalling, and clearing cache without results. Any ideas on *why* this is and how to fix it?

Just yesterday, Spotify.com and the Spotify app became inaccesible on my desktop. When I couldn't get the app to go online I uninstalled it but now I cannot even open spotify.com.

Most other pages and services function just fine and I can access the pages on other units connected to the same router (via WIFI).

I get the feeling any services that are region or land specific are being screwed up on my desktop, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if I'm being unclear here, I'm kind of confused.

Thanks in advance for any help!

/

Kris

If those things were happening to me, I'd start with a full virus scan with a decent antivirus like Malware Bytes. I'm not saying you have malware on your computer but I think you *might* have so I would suggest you start by trying to rule that out.

#5 kriscarlsson

kriscarlsson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:08 AM

Ok, I messed around with my DNS settings and changed it back to "Obtain DNS server automatically". That did it, for everything.

Thanks for the replies!

/ Kris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users