Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rob h

Rob h

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

Just recently bought a second hand pc for my daughter which I found had a non genuine copy of xp pro on it, it worked ok but couldn't get updates so I bought a new copy of xp home. Put the disc in tonight and all seemed well, it went throught the process of deleting the old os and installing the new one but when the pc finally re booted I get the windows start up screen with the little blue thingy going accross then I get a small box in the middle of a black screen that simply says NO SUPPORT. Any ideas as to what I need to do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

Did you buy a retail full installation version of XP Home or an upgrade version?

You cannot "upgrade" XP Pro, pirate or otherwise with an upgrade version of XP Home.

You need a full installation version and you must completely format the hard drive (NTFS is recommended) to be able to install XP Home when any version of XP Pro was on the computer.

When you install the operating system the only things that should be connected to the computer are the mouse, the keyboard and the monitor.

It also needs to have the bios set to boot from cd.

#3 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:33 AM

Full oem version of xp home, booted from cd, followed all instructions on screen including removal of previos version of os all seemed to work fine until the final restart from the hard drive then the normal windows start screen with the logo above the little blue moving thingy then black screen with small square box saying NO SUPPORT, almost identical to the box that says NO SIGNAL when pc is powered off.

#4 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

hi, rob h,

almost identical to the box that says NO SIGNAL when pc is powered off.

this could be a prob with your graphics card or monitor. try starting in safemode, if that goes ok then you are probably missing graphic card/monitor drivers.

#5 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:02 AM

Found the problem with the screen. Had to go into safe mode and enable vga. Now though I have another problem, I get the message that there is no sound device found, I have no details of what is installed and have no software to load.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Use this free utility to inventory your system (it doesn't install to your hard drive): http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

Then post the results and we can see what we can find for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

Sorted! Thanks for your help, this one was easy in the end, once i could get the screen up properly I checked the driver disc that came with the motherboard and hey presto everything works ok..............for now.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

Good!

If it all works now you should be all set.

You must now Activate with Microsoft within 30 days or the op system will shut down.

That should be no problem although with an OEM install you may have to do it on the phone if the internet activation kicks for any reason. It will provide a toll free number to call if this occurs. Answer the questions they ask and input the 50 digit hash number they give you, and you will be all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users