Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did the Meltdown/Spectre Firmware updates cause massive computer failures?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tvshub

tvshub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

I run a computer repair shop in N Ga and I've had a number of computers (desktops and laptops) come in this week that are having serious boot problems. Two desktops, one Dell, one HP, no longer process when powered on. Both are Windows 10, best I can tell. Fans only, no screen output, no BIOS, no heat, nothing. And about 6 Windows 10 laptops were stuck in startup failures looping from auto-diagnostics to rebooting. A few of the laptops required a 'refresh' to fix while some others can't boot to anything outside the internal HDD. I find it strange that Intel and some manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc) rolled out a firmware update (BIOS) only to recall the update a few days later after discovering various issues with the update. As you might have read, Linus Torvalds called the update "... garbage". I must agree based on his level of genius.

If I'm having a rash of these failures in my small town, I can only wonder what's going on in the rest of the world since this is so widespread as to effect about every device with a CPU inside.

Although I haven't determined for sure if the Meltdown/Spectre bug patch is the culprit, it sure looks like it could be and there's no way I know to flash a BIOS on a system that refuses to process. May have to drag out the floppy drive. Since BIOS chips are now solder to the board to save a penny, if it gets some bad code, you might be replacing the motherboard.

Anybody else have any suggestions or clues to this mystery?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

It happened to me, I have an Intel laptop & I had boot problems, severe slowdown, BSoD & errors at various times over the course of several days after update. I was told the problems only affected AMD processors but now they’re stating both AMD & Intel are having problems after the update.
I recovered from an image & blocked the update & all was fine again,I waited a week then downloaded a CU released to fix the problems via the WU mini tool & it’s about 95% OK, still the odd freeze for a minute now & then.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Both AMD and Intel CPUs are being effected by this update.  But it now appears that AMD CPUs are Microsoft's concern.  There is a article which sheds some light on this, you can find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Personally I would not install anything which fixes these issues. We have lived a long time with this vulnerability and I do not see any reason to jump in for a patch as of yet.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Personally I would not install anything which fixes these issues. We have lived a long time with this vulnerability and I do not see any reason to jump in for a patch as of yet.

same here, I manage around 70+ computers and we always wait 2 or 3 weeks before updating anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users