Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Vista or Windows 7 image

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Hello,

I have two computers that I'd like to completely wipe. One runs Windows Vista, the other Windows 7. Both these OS's require an original CD to do a full wipe. Are there any Vista or Windows 7 image files I can download for free? And if so, how would I use them to wipe the OS's? Can I put them on USB and have the computers reinstall from that?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

If you have a valid key go to the MS site you can find ISO's there.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

It might be good if somebody provided you with the WWW address of the MS site to download Windows 7 ISOs:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Then it would also be good to know that the WWW site will only accept 25 character product IDs for Retail and System Builder keys.

THen it would be good to know that if your system came with Windows preinstalled that would make it an OEM system and your Product ID will not help you there.

Let's see what happens next...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Up until December, the Windows and Office ISO Download Tool would let you get an ISO image for numerous versions of both Windows and Office; but, the latest version can't do 7 because MS pulled them and, for Vista, I never have seen a link to a true ISO.

I think your best bet would be to buy Dell reinstall DVD's off of EBay which will work with the licenses on the laptops even if they are not Dell PCs.

On both, once setup starts, choose the advanced options and delete ALL of the partitions on the drives then click Next.  Windows will create what it needs automatically.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

If you don't plan on selling the Windows 7 or Vista computer you may be able to do a factory reset if the computer is OEM and it has a factory reset partition.

What is the make and model of the computers if they are OEM?

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2018 - 11:09 AM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Well if you want to wipe there is another option just in case factory reset isnt working and or you dont want to spend money.

Linux

A linux live image will do the trick, you can reformat your systems with ease give them a clean slate.

You dont need to install linux to do it, just pop it on a USB and run it live.

In the linux world we have live images kind of like a tryout to see what the system is like.

Think of a linux live image as a tryout disk... that actually does something :D

Pop linux mint on it or something, that will do nicely.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Its cinnamon edition is friendly to windows users and it does come with Gparted the tool you will need to nuke those drives.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 January 2018 - 01:18 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:55 AM

For Windows 7 ISOs:

The download tool referenced by DavisMcCarn is here and as noted the Windows 7 download are not working lately:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Another source which I have not used personally is here:

http://windowsiso.net/

I sent you a message offering for you to download from my Microsoft OneDrive any Windows 7 ISO Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) and architecture (32 or 64-bit) you need so you can pursue that if it is your desire.

OneDrive space is limited (unless you pay for more) so I only put one ISO at a time out there when folks need them - example:

[attachment=201791:Untitled.jpg]

Why do folks refer to WWW sites and not include links to the WWW sites?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

I agree with MadmanRB. Putting linux, at least on the Vista computer, is a very good option now that Vista is no longer supported with security updates. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users