Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tired of the haiti BS

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Haiti was down the tubes long before the hurricane, all the talk of how the US must take responsibility for the recovery is just down right wrong!

Take your pick of any of the links below quit blaming the US for their plight!

https://www.google.com/search?q=corruption+in+peutorico&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

im tired of the bleep hole bs

i live in the US and dont want to say where

but my city is a bleep hole, at least my county is recently trying to kick out all the homeless

druggies out of the riverbed they called home

heard they gathered over 4,000lbs of human feces

they are still finding needles after extensive clean up

8(

bleep hole means disfunction. (i like this spelling over the "y" one 8)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

Forgive me OldPhil if I point out that all the links I saw under that link you gave refer to Puerto Rico and not Haiti.

And since, according to Wikipedia, Puerto Rico is is an unincorporated territory of the United States located in the northeast Caribbean Sea then is it not at least in part a Federal US responsibility in exactly the same way as Federal assistance was granted to California following the recent fires and other States following natural and other disasters ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

My bad had other things on my mind!

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

at least my county is recently trying to kick out all the homeless

Yes because kicking them out solves all the problems?

Arch Linux .
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines link 
Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet <- Everyone must read this!
How to Protect and Harden a Computer against Ransomware <- Everyone must read this!

""Three out of four voices in my head want to sleep. The fourth voice wants to know if penguins have knees."

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 487 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

I haven't read much about Haiti other than the cholera outbreak being blamed on UN peacekeepers.

Where we live, they occasionally try to compel, in a friendly and supportive way, the homeless to move from an area if it is disruptive in an obvious way, offering some kind of shelter and counseling. 

On the other hand,  in our desert they have been cracking down bad on the Varrio Coachella Rifa ganbangers big time. Tell me, would you buy a used car from a guy like this? :)

635953709611977487-Gangs-Lead-Alternate.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree of climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

I blew the title I was bringing up Puerto Rico, they are blaming the US for not bailing them out enough.  Long before the storms there was a lot of news about how bad corruption was there, the elite were living large on the peoples back.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

in our desert they have been cracking down bad on the Varrio Coachella Rifa ganbangers

I do not have a problem with that.

I know some of you will disagree with this but I mean no disrespect.

The US is a super power that has meddled big time in the running of these countries and now has an obligation to protect that region as much as it can and if that means " regime change " then that should also be an option.

You guys have a problem with illegal immigration from that region? If you can make conditions better in those countries not worse then those people wont bother going to the USA.

Sure that costs money but how much are you spending on border control every year to keep these people out?

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Politics and propaganda from all sides creates some huge messes and ordinary people suffer, while politicians live the high life.

If the major super powers USA, Russia and China decided to do something about Nth Korea today Kim and his cronies wouldn't stand a chance, I can guarantee most of his army wouldn't fight and any nukes he may have can easily be dealt with hours before they can be launched.

Arch Linux .
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet <- Everyone must read this!
How to Protect and Harden a Computer against Ransomware <- Everyone must read this!

""Three out of four voices in my head want to sleep. The fourth voice wants to know if penguins have knees."

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:51 AM

To quote Wikipedia again -

Puerto Ricans are by law natural-born citizens of the United States and may move freely between the island and the mainland

The USA may indeed have a problem with illegal immigration and some of it is no doubt coming from countries in the Caribbean, but by definition it is not coming from Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico may have a problem with corruption, many countries do, but that is a different subject altogether.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

AHEM..............

The Politics of Corruption on Long Island - ND Projects

Criminal cases against 10 politicians and public officials Over the past few years, prosecutors have charged Long Island politicians and public officials with crimes ranging from tax evasion to bribery. Some of these cases resulted in convictions, while others are ongoing. Follow Newsday’s latest coverage on the most prominent cases here. (Last updated: Jan. 24, 2018)
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

solves the problem of increased theft in the area

moves the drug dealers to another area

the county workers asked them, who wants mental health counseling, who wants to be in some type of shelter, and who wanted help getting a job. 

9 out  of 10said no, shelters have rules, no drugs and stuff that hoarders tend to collect. help with mental health issues, most of them see society as the problem, they dont think they have any issues with wanting to live out on the street. especially in areas where no one can sleep or camp out because its not ground for that.

the problems come from each individual who does not bother to seek help, from those willing to help

most of the people out there are under 35, a lot look like high school kids. they are just traveling drug users. my area is now the cheap place for heroin.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

solves the problem of increased theft in the area

moves the drug dealers to another area

the county workers asked them, who wants mental health counseling, who wants to be in some type of shelter, and who wanted help getting a job. 

9 out  of 10said no, shelters have rules, no drugs and stuff that hoarders tend to collect. help with mental health issues, most of them see society as the problem, they dont think they have any issues with wanting to live out on the street. especially in areas where no one can sleep or camp out because its not ground for that.

the problems come from each individual who does not bother to seek help, from those willing to help

most of the people out there are under 35, a lot look like high school kids. they are just traveling drug users. my area is now the cheap place for heroin.

I wont get into great detail as its off topic other than to say.

Heres a job heres a home heres some mental health help, Its simply not that easy, I interact daily with people who are drug addicts are homeless and have severe mental health issues and I know what Im talking about.

We feed them we give them clothing we give them tents we even provide free medical care and if we can get 2 or 3 off the streets and off the drugs a year then its a good year.

Puerto Ricans are by law natural-born citizens of the United States

Indeed they are. And the USA is turning its back on its citizens, but hey its not like they are important right?

Arch Linux .

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

I know I screwed up the title I did mean to reference Puerto Rico!!

Go back and look at the link in post # 1. 

No question every nation has corruption, look what is happening here in the US.  Not only the FBI but also some high ups in the CIA plotted against Trump! 

I have a buddy in the local PSE&G who has been there over a month as have many others, he has told his wife that several companies are hard at it.    The US has not turned its back on them in fact has spent a ton on bringing there infrastructure back! 

Yet they still bad mouth the US!

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

This for another viewpoint. There's usually two sides to a story.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/4/16385658/puerto-rico-taxes-hurricane

A spokesperson for FEMA told me Tuesday that the agency had approved $35 million in public and individual assistance grants for the island. Meanwhile, FEMA has approved $691 million in grants to Irma victims in Florida and has sent $323 million to Texas communities recovering from Harvey.

Puerto Rico pays billions of federal taxes each year

Puerto Rico is a US territory and not a state, so its residents don’t pay federal income tax unless they work for the US government. Even so, workers there pay the majority of federal taxes that Americans on the mainland pay — payroll taxes, social security taxes, business taxes, gift taxes, estate taxes and so on.

The recent economic crisis on the island has put a huge dent in the federal tax revenue collected from Puerto Rico, but it still added up to $3.6 billion in fiscal year 2016. That’s not much less than some states where residents do pay income tax: Vermont and Wyoming paid $4.5 billion in federal taxes that year.

Even during the island's worst financial crisis, Puerto Rico is still directly funding the US government, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which is spending millions of dollars to rebuild damaged infrastructure in Houston after Hurricane Harvey.

My thought is. If Puerto Rico is paying taxes into the US Treasury equal to some US states. They have a right to speak out if they don't feel they are not getting the same level of emergency service that others are. I mean just on the face 35 million compared to 323 million is just slightly more than 10% of the funds allocated to a US state. If you were getting only 10% of the service for your dollars as someone else, wouldn't you have some questions and complaints???

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

My thoughts exactly. How is kicking out all the homeless suppose solve any problems? Your moving the problem somewhere else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users