Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Loading On Start Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Learner87

Learner87

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

When i have log in to window, while loading the startup takes quite a long time. I have scan my com by using manykind of software such as ad-aware, anti virus, spybot search and destroy to confirm my com was clean but the problem still remain. Can any1 help me out here? TQ.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Try the following Microsoft on-line scan using Internet Explorer.

Windows One Care Free Scan
Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#3 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

I have scaned my com by follow ur instruction. The problem still remain. I found out this problem since i have change sumthing in msconfig few weeks ago, but i have forgoten wht changes i did be4. Does any way to solve this problem?
Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

Unless you know exactly what you are doing you should never change or stop anything using msconfig. You can hose your entire operating system stopping a necessary Windows process.

How long is a "few" weeks ago? Is it more than three weeks?

If it is less than three weeks use Windows System Restore to return your system state to its working condition.

click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Pick the oldest date in bold numbers and then follow the directions on-screen.

If you do not have a restore date old enough boot into safe mode and choose "last Known Good Configuration"

If neither of those work, and you can't remember what you stopped using msconfig you may have to reinstall Windows.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

Here's a free, easy to use tool that will allow you to change your Startups (IMO it's better than msconfig): http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It will put an icon in your Control Panel called Startup. With it you can disable/enable items in your startups - and can even delete them if necessary.

There's other, more advanced tools available - but I find this the easiest to use for routine startup research.

When you open it, give us a list of the one's that are disabled (those are the one's listed in the various tabs that don't have checkmarks in the boxes). That'll give a clue about where to start.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:07 PM

usama:

What a neat little program. Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

Usama:
The software u mention upthere izzit similar like autorun?
Posted Image

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:59 AM

Yes - it is a startup manager.

The one I recommend is Startup Inspector though because it better identifies the startup programs connected with the entries.

Startup Inspector freeware (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

I use Mike Lin's Startup CPL to manage my startups quickly.

I use Autoruns to solve more difficult problems with startups (I have both on my system).
I have used Startup Inspector and find it to be similar to Autoruns.

My point is that StartupCPL is much more like msconfig than it is like Autoruns or Startup Inspector. So, it's easier to use than the others for most folks (but it's also less powerful).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:26 AM

Thnx 4 u all !
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users