Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore to new win 7 reload

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

My lap top has been up and running just fine for five years now, though all is good I am considering hit doing a factory reload.

After the reload can the back up I made be applied to the new build easily, hoping so!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

If I understand your plan, I think the backup will very likely over-write the reload.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

What I really wanted to do is to do a factory reset to freshen things up, then use Decrapifier to rid it of all the factory junk, then apply the backup but that will not work.  l if I had taken some time to think about it all the junk that Decrapifier removed would be right back staring at me.  I was trying to do the reload hoping to avoid the reinstall of five years worth of up dates.  Now if I could reload then Decrapify the back up  before applying that would be great but I doubt the possibility of that working.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

Roland after thinking a bit and before jumping in I decided on two different plans. The tower has no recovery partition so that I did an image, the laptop just a back up. So I am good for now, will renew each once a month. I have little worry about data, I save everything of importance to either sticks or CD's. All I have any concern about is programs and settings, anything missed during the month such as updates/patches can be reapplied.  This was done on the wiped 320g drive in the Roswill that I split in two.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 02 February 2018 - 11:09 AM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

Excellent, OldPhil, just keep on making backups from time to time on external media  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

I pull everything I want to save, so I had little worry in that respect.  A while back I was exploring rebuilding the tower with a recovery partition.  I found the info on doing that but it entailed having to get all the lost updates, I figured that was far worse then going the route I did!

Thanks for your input!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users