Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Clean Up and Backup Protocol Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

I had one of those "crap, I've lost everything" scares when Windows wouldn't boot up on my computer. Luckily I managed to fix it, but it brought to light that I'm one of those people that have ignored the whole back up thing. Considering I've had a couple of viruses on the machine going back a few years, this was just plain stupid on my part.So a few questions.

Can anyone help me with a good back up protocol? I've bought myself an external 3TB HD for the purpose. 

Also while copying my C drive, in case it came to complete re-install, I noticed some folders I'm not sure I need. I have a Windows folder, but also a Windows.old, and a Windows.old.000 folder. Do I need the last two, or are they some kind of copy from when the previous viruses were removed? They're very large folders and on the surface seem to contain a lot of redundant files.

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2018 - 04:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

Those are backup copies of Windows in case you want to roll back to a previous version.

For your backup question. It depends on your tolerance for losing data.

All digital media will fail, that is just a matter of time.

No digital media is guaranteed to be readable in the next 10+ years.

Consider floppy disks years ago. I was just thinking about this tonight.

Back then a floppy disk held 1.44 megs of data, which was considered huge.

Now one picture takes more than that.

Back up the documents, pictures, videos, music, favorites if you use IE and maybe the desktop of things are stored there and nothing else.

Anything other than that is useless should you ever need to reinstall.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

Adding to the very good advice of the previous poster, consider making full image backups of your OS and Data partitions onto that newly purchased 3TB HD -- although, depending upon what Windows is being used, you might have to create two partitions on that external HD.  Although I only make full images, many others here can extol the virtues of differential and incremental backups for there are several pluses and a few downsides to anything considered.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users