Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1324 Bluetooth Installation

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

Hi all,
i'm new to this well respected forum :thumbsup:
so i hope someone can help as i'm stuck :flowers:

i'm trying to install Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter, all i get is " the path documents and settings contains an invalid character"
there are some issues regarding SP2 with this software but it's not even getting as far as that :trumpet:

could anyone guide me through how to fix this ?
my instinct is it's a registry key thing but i'm not sure which one.

hope you can help :inlove:

thanks in advance

glyn

p.s. i hope i picked the right forum ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, glyn foulkes:

You could try the following steps from the website that I copied at the bottom of my post.

To run your installation, your CD-ROM may require a 32-bit driver. To determine if your CD-ROM is a using real mode 16-bit driver, follow these steps:

Windows XP

1. Select Start > Control Panel > System or Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System.
2. Select the Hardware tab.
3. Click Device Manager.
4. Locate the CD-ROM branch in the device tree. If the CD-ROM branch does not exist, you are using a real-mode CD-ROM driver.

The website also tells you that another solution might be to copy the installation files from the CD to a folder on your computer, and running the setup program from there.

Error -1324: The Folder Path Contains an Invalid Character

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
JC

#3 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hi JC,
thanks for helping i appreciate it !!
well the DVD-ROM (in my case) does exist so it can't be that.

Copying to another folder produces a different error :thumbsup: -

This installation package could not be opened, verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

I have tried opening the software from a different account and get the same error.

I am not sure whether this is a Windows Installer fault ?

One other thing; there seem to be a couple of odd things going on -

the entry for local users and groups in the computer management section, doesn't exist.

In the Documents and settings folder my name is down as User and it should be Glyn I would have thought ? !!

Even though i am typing in the correct password for the Administrator account it tells me access is resticted !! and won't let me in.

sigh,

any ideas ?

cheers
glyn

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

Hi, glyn.
Try to download and install Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

After it is downloaded and installed, try to run the setup program for your USB Adaptor again from your local disk. Also, try the CD again if the local disk installation fails.

What shows up under the User Accounts icon in the Control Panel? Does you account exist there? Are you listed as a Computer Administrator?

Are you having any other problems? If you just started having problems, you could also try to run the XP system restore, and go back before your problems started. See Windows XP System Restore Guide

Follow the steps under the section - Restoring Windows XP to a previous State.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Joshuacat, 30 September 2006 - 06:34 PM.

JC

#5 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hi Jc,
great minds think alike :thumbsup:
i had earlier downloaded the 3.1 installer but have to do some backing up before i try it, i'll let you know.
user account - glyn computer admin

i'm fine with SR but have no idea when these things happened :flowers:

cheers
glyn

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Okay. Always a good idea to have an up to date backup.

Keep us posted. :thumbsup:
JC

#7 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

Hi JC,
well i backed up and installed the windows installer upgrade successfully (or so it said), tried to install from the local disk and the CD but still the same errors :thumbsup:

now i'm stuck :flowers:

any ideas / thanks for your help again :trumpet:
cheers
glyn

#8 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

Hi again JC,
restored to July 4th 2006, the earliest restore point i had - made no difference :thumbsup:

cheers
glyn

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

I'd suggest checking Belkin to see if there is an updated driver available - and to see if others have experienced this problem. If it has issues with SP2, then this could be the cause of the problems (SP2 was both a security upgrade and an operating system upgrade).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hi John,
thanks for helping :thumbsup:
yes there are issues with this and SP2 mainly the windows hardware wizard. I have the correct instructions on how to deal with that no probs (hopefully). This doesn't even get that far, it locks up with error code just after the windows installer starts.
I contacted Belkin EU help centre by phone on Tuesday and the response was - I have no idea, sorry

cheers
glyn

#11 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

Hi again John,
i just checked again on their website and i have the latest version of the drivers and installation package.
:thumbsup:
Thanks
Glyn

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Have you installed the latest Windows installer software from Windows Update? You may want to try this free program to see if it'll help (it's just a shot in the dark on my part - but it can't hurt your system, so it's worth a try): http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

Hi John,
no i installed it direct from the redistributable section of Microsoft website.

thanks for the tip on the software, i installed it ran clean temp folders and unregister/register Winstaller - no difference :thumbsup:

i had previously manually tried the unregister process with same results.

thanks for the help John, any further ideas ? i'm totally stuck.

cheers
glyn

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

My suspicion is that this software doesn't like spaces in the directories (ie - Documents and Settings) - that could be what it's calling an "invalid character". Is there a way that you can try this with the short file/folder names? (ie - Docume~1)?

First, make sure that all other devices are unplugged from the system - we want to ensure that there's as little as possible interfering with the installation.

Or, you could try running from within the Documents and Settings folder to see if you can fool it into accepting it.

Generally "User" is the default account name that's used to setup your system by the manufacturer (some also use Owner). When you change the name of your account (to Glyn in this case), the actual folder in Documents and Settings will remain as "User".

Now, I'm really reaching here - so please bear with me. I don't know nuttin' 'bout no bluetooth - don't have a use for it.

But, Belkin has been making bluetooth stuff for a while. The Belkin tech said that he couldn't help - and presumably he'd have had some idea if it was a common problem. You're having some "issues" with user accounts in Windows.

Add to this my presumption that you don't have any incompatible devices on your system - and that it's composed of "normal" parts with not exotic, off the wall type of things affecting it.

Finally, presume that there isn't a corruption with the files that you're trying to install. You can verify this by downloading the file again and try to install it.

Now, if all this is true, we're starting to lean a bit towards a problem with Windows (rather than with the Belkin software).

Try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog. Don't forget to visit Windows Update afterwards to ensure that your updates are intact.

Then, you may want to try a repair install of Windows - but that's a far reach for this particular problem. If you decide on doing this, here's a link for how-to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edited by usasma, 02 October 2006 - 03:49 PM.

#15 glyn foulkes

glyn foulkes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

Hi John,
well i think we are starting to get to the root of the problem :thumbsup:

everything else unplugged- same result
tried installing from within docs and settings - same result

thanks for the info on USER - makes sense :inlove:

perfectly normal system nothing exotic

the files are definitely not corrupted, i have tried from the CD and downloaded on 2 separate occasions from Belkin website - same result

i'll be honest i don't know how to set up the short filename path as it won't let me get to the installation directory path to change it.

ok, i tried just now installing the latest windows live messenger with THE SAME RESULT !! but 1603 error code.

i ran scannow and it came up with loads of missing files from windows and SP2 !!! that it wanted to reinstall into the DLL cache - problem; i don't have a genuine windows xp disc just the flippin licensed manufactuers recovery disc :flowers:
so i had to skip them all. I don't think it's possible to repair these from that disc ??
i am unsure of how to get hold of a genuine replacement XP disc ??
i think this stems from the only virus i had in running this rig for 2+ years about 9 months ago (god knows how it got past my firewalls) i know it ate some windows system files but forgot about it as it has all behaved fine up to now.

so you guessed it right, windows has the problem :trumpet:

i definitely have no virus or adware/malware since.

thanks for all the help, any further ideas ??

cheers
glyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users