Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kernel Power 41 - PSU to Blame?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LEIP

LEIP

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

New to the forums on BleepingComputer but long time visitor. Thank you for all the support and utilities you folks provide. Much appreciated for the little guys out there, like me, that keep trying to learn more about DIY.

I continue to have a Kernel Power issue that only seems to surface while gaming (BF4). The system will just randomly freeze; sometimes I can recover with CTRL+ALT+Delete and going to Task Manager, other times the only way to recover is forcing hard restart. When I can get to Task Manager I usually see a message that the NVIDIA driver stopped responding or hung (I do have the most recent drivers, always to clean install of drivers and recently wiped my machine and reinstalled everything from the W10x64 and up).  I have also tried to limit what programs are running while gaming and that still didn't help.

I have been monitoring temps through EVGAs Percision X OC utility. Just today I noticed that when I toggle between the two GPUs that one is at 47C and the other is at 24C and the one running hotter says the GPU clock is at 1136mhz and memory clock is at 3004mhz (while the other has no load), but I only have Chrome, Outlook, Precision X and Event Viewer open...no GPU demanding programs. Precision is set to adjust fan speed automatically. 

In addition, from time to time there is artifacts on my screen and randomly when the computer boots there are numerous green lines across the screen when the computer reboots. After I hit the restart button once or twice they disappear but it is a recurring issue. Someone suggested 5V line power might be the issue and according to Open Hardware Monitor that is running at 5.16V with no load.

Please let me know what I should do to troubleshoot. I have contemplated purchasing a PSU, but don't want to just throw money at the problem. But at the same time, this above my level of DIY experience.

Thank you in advance for help.

Regards,

LEIP

• Operating System
    W10 x64
  • Antivirus Software
    Bitdefender Total Security 2018
  • Firewall
    Bitdefender and Linksys WRT1900ACS
  • Computer
    Homemade
  • CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K
  • Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
  • Ram
    Corsair Vengance DDR3 - 2x4GB
  • Storage
    OCZ Vector 240GB
  • Video Card
    EVGA/GTX 660Ti/2048 MB x2
  • Soundcard
    Onboard - Realtek
  • Power Supply
    Corsair TX 850W
  • Case
    CoolMaster Mid-Size Case

Edited by LEIP, 25 January 2018 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

If you follow the instructions here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ we can try to help you..

#3 LEIP

LEIP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Many Thanks @Hyper Henry

Here is what you requested:

1) Sysnaive Attached

2) Speccy

I will run Step 5 now.

Best regards,
LEIP

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

The sysnative report didn't get attache d. The only thing I saw on the Speccy report is that your bios is dated 2012. Check to see if there's an update available. This could be keeping the drivers from working properly. It would also help to see what's in the Evenbt Viewer.

Event Viewer Log Files
Please provide us with copies of these 2 logfiles:
- Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes and press Enter
- Expand the Windows Logs category by clicking on the arrow/+ sign to it's left
- Right click on the Application log and select "Save all events as" and name it Application
- Then, right click on the System log and select "Save all events as" and name it System
- Zip up the log files and upload/attach them with your next post.

NOTE:  If the log files are too big to upload to the forums, please upload them to a free file hosting service - I recommend Windows Live SkyDrive -

#5 LEIP

LEIP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

That's strange. Think I may have posted before confirming attachment....i see it this time.

I have also attached the requested EVTX files.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files

#6 LEIP

LEIP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Re: ASUS and BIOS, the last revision was 2012

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

If the motherboard doesn't support the OS there's not much you can do except to install an OS it does.

#8 LEIP

LEIP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

Thank you for the feedback. It was stable for so long...could there be anything else?

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

I can't really answer that. I'm surprised that it even booted. The systems it supports aren't even supported anymore.

#10 LEIP

LEIP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

My particular BIOS does support W7 & W8 and I understood both of those OS, more so W7, to be very compatible with W10. I contacted ASUS and they are recommending that I rollback my BIOS to 3402, which is also compatible with W7 & W8.

On a completely separate note, I ran across another post on Bleeping Computer that referenced Realtek on-board audio drivers and third party audio drivers all being active on someone's machine. The support person recommended disabling the other audio devices. I too have a similar issue in that I have NVIDIA audio being displayed as well as Apowersoft audio. I disabled both of these yesterday and, while I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I have not crashed.

I will test for a few more days and revert.

Thank you again for your help.

Rob

#11 LEIP

LEIP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Unfortunately things have only gotten worse...I have done a fresh install about half a dozen times over the last month and three times this weekend.  Once the machine is up and running I inevitably end up with BSOD and then stuck in preparing automatic repair loop. After a fresh install! I don't know what is going on and am completely frustrated. I'm thinking it might be time for a new mobo that is still supported by the manufacturer but my concern is that nothing is going to support socket 1155 processor.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users