Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zoomo

Zoomo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

Hello.  First let me say thanks for reading and I will try to be as clear as I can as to my problem.

I have a regular but very new desktop PC running Windows 10.

I have a full-time at home job that is forcing me to use a laptop they are going to be providing to me within a week.

These people do not work from home so have no idea what is involved with having a home PC and a laptop both going at the same time and I have not even 1 extra inch for a laptop on my desk.

So, what I am wanting to do is use a KVM switch so I can use one mouse (wireless), 1 keyboard (wireless), 1 set of speakers, and 1 monitor on both the PC and the Laptop and will put my laptop under a riser I am going to buy to put under my monitor.

The tech people have no idea what to tell me as far as KVM (they are a huge technology/software/app company) switches or what to buy (yes I have to eat this expense).  

I have used a KVM switch before years ago but on 2 PC's and at the time both computers had P2 connections.

I expect to press some combo of keys to switch from the computer to the laptop and then press the combo again to switch back to the PC. 

Can somebody please point me to a product I can buy that will do all this but it has to specifically work between a PC and a laptop (I am not sure if there are different requirements for laptops).  I have the specs for the laptop they are sending me if that helps.  http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/dell-latitude-14-7000-e7480-review/

My PC:  Dell Inspiron 3668 desktop, 3GHz Intel Core i5, 12GB RAM

Oh yeah, the laptop has less RAM, grrrr, means it will be slower, won't it?

I need to buy something super fast because they expect me to start using it immediately.

Please help me.

Thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hey Zoomo!

A KVM switch would most definitely solve your problem. If your monitor has HDMI then something like this should work for you! The laptop and your desktop both have HDMI so as long as your monitor does as well it should be okay. Otherwise you may need to tack on and adapter. If you shop around just make sure you find a KVM that has HDMI outputs. Most KVMs have software to use function keys to switch or you can use the included button that is separate on this model; a nice feature.

I'll also note that you may want to customize the power settings on your laptop so that you can, for example, keep the screen closed and it stays powered on.

Hope this helps!

Edited by C0bra, 25 January 2018 - 11:42 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 Zoomo

Zoomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Thank you so much.  I just looked up all my specs for monitor, computer, laptop, and I found that my monitor is HDMI ready, my computer has an HDMI port, although currently am using VGA, so have to get a wire, and the new laptop has an HDMI.  So, I ordered that, 69 and change on Amazon Prime, be here Sunday.  Let's hope it works.  I also ordered a riser. 

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Thank you so much.  I just looked up all my specs for monitor, computer, laptop, and I found that my monitor is HDMI ready, my computer has an HDMI port, although currently am using VGA, so have to get a wire, and the new laptop has an HDMI.  So, I ordered that, 69 and change on Amazon Prime, be here Sunday.  Let's hope it works.  I also ordered a riser. 

Excellent! Glad I could help!

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users