Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 and personal files?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blop

blop

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

Hi

We all know about privacy issues and telemetry that comes with Windows 10, but is MS also able to access personal files held on a local drive?

I don't use One Drive (cloud storage), their emails (Outlook / Hotmail) or use an MS account to log into Windows, but rather a local account (probably need to chnage from Admin to Standard).

Somethink that MS is still able to pry on personal files on the desktop / documents folder or just the local drive in general.

Is this really the case?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

No.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Microsoft doesn't access files. Read their Privacy Statement.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

I wish people would apply their critical thinking skills regarding the ludicrous idea that Microsoft is able (or would even want to) access the data on someone's HDD/SSD.

Windows 10 is being used in government settings, medical settings, and business settings where absolute privacy is required and often legally mandated. That should tell you something about the likelihood of this sort of access being possible.

The legal liability for Microsoft is not something that any major corporation would be willing to tolerate exposure to.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

With windows 10 m$ probably CAN* access personal files but they would be unlikely to DARE to, atleast for the foreseeable future. There has been criticism of windows 10's slurping of telemetry to the point that m$ now plan to make a tool which lets users see what they claim is everything being sent back to microsoft's servers. Under this kind of climate if they started reading personal files all user trust in them would collapse to nothing instantly. For as long as alternatives exist, because while they may have close to a monopoly they don't have an absolute one, they wouldn't dare with a move so nasty to users. It is at present effectively certain that m$ won't dare to do this, but to be fully sure you might prefer to use an OS other than windows 10 so you can be sure that it is not technically possible at all.

*well if they forced an update containing the necessary code to make it possible for them to slurp files then they could, and if they developed such an update reverse engineers might notice it and spread the word pretty fast

Edited by rp88, 25 January 2018 - 04:53 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

My latest check shows Microsoft employing about 124 thousand, with claims of 400 million active users of windows 10. Considering each computer having many files, ain't enough eyeballs to even scratch the surface. 
One reason I don't worry about privacy that much, even governmental agencies with computers able to scoop and amass vast amounts of data.
There's enough in life to worry about if one is inclined to do so.
Maybe I'm complacent, but prefer to be. 
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

. . . but to be fully sure you might prefer to use an OS other than windows 10 so you can be sure that it is not technically possible at all.

There is no such thing.   If you're not willing to trust your OS maker not to put eyes on your own files kept nowhere but your own hard drive then you need to stop using computers.   Any OS could, conceivably, be set up to do so.  None would do this for precisely the reasons you've outlined.  It would be insanity, business suicide, and a legal nightmare that would be unending.

Let's not get into the fact that it's well nigh impossible to keep a secret about what's being sent to-from a computer if someone is determined to find out what that is.  All the more reason that no business would have the temerity to slurp actual personal files kept on a HDD/SDD or, even, on their cloud storage.  You have to give a company access to your data if you wish said company to store it on their servers.  Access doesn't mean "for them to methodically analyze for content."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

A person probably does not realize this but AV's will access your files during a scan especially if a cloud AV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users