Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Video Card

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

I have a slightly new agp system that im not ready to part with yet (to pci-e) and wondering what the best card I can get is. I can't really tell that much of a difference between some of these newer cards. I would perfer to go nvidia, but if there is a huge performance difference, I would gladly go ati. I know nvidia has gone further with agp than ati, but the highest end cards for agp can be up around $300(which I dont really want to pay that much) I was thinking that maybe anyone knows a good card that I might be able to unlock a couple of pipelines or something :thumbsup: to get more bang for my buck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:20 AM

Best AGP card would have to be this, it's a GeForce 7800GS, for 249 after a 20$ mail in rebate. But if you want cheaper, you could maybe find a X800 GTO/XL and alot of people have had luck unlocking pipes with a bios flash, turning them into X800 XT's, but some haven't.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

Best AGP card would have to be this, it's a GeForce 7800GS, for 249 after a 20$ mail in rebate. But if you want cheaper, you could maybe find a X800 GTO/XL and alot of people have had luck unlocking pipes with a bios flash, turning them into X800 XT's, but some haven't.

I believe that if you have the R480 core on your X800, then it is highly likely that you can flash it to a X850 XTPE. Dont believe me? Google it.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

I'm an nVidia fan and recently found that the 7800 GS is the fastest nVidia card that you'll be able to get for AGP. eVGA sells an overclocked version that will get you a bit more bang for your bucks.

I got one a month or so ago - and it works quite well. Not being a big gamer (and when I do, I play at low resolutions) I haven't noticed a whole bunch of difference between it and my FX5700 Ultra that it replaced.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

I was also consdering the radeon x800 All in wonder. I do some video editing and this would be nice to have, but i'm mainly focusing on my gaming. It has 16 pipelines, does anyone know how it compares the the other cards?

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

It's fairly good. It would be a between a X1600 and X1800. nVidia wise, I think it It's around a GeForce 6800.

#7 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

ah, so you definately think that a nvidia 7600 or 7800 would be better than the top ati agp cards?(x800, x1600)

#8 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:25 PM

And also, some cards have faster gddr3 ram(like some 6800's and x800's), but less of it than some 512mb gddr2 cards(x1600), how do I know which is better? Less Faster ram, or more slower ram?

And does anyone know where I can find a good benchmarking site to compare some of these?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

Try http://www.tomshardware.com/ in the Video subsection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, Thats a good site. But 1 have one more question. Sorry. But I have a high quality 350watt psu with +12v:18a. Some cards say they recommend a 400watt with sometimes +12v:18a or +12v:20a. I have a very basic setup with 2 cd drives, 1 hard drive, a couple of fans and stuff(not much power. On an online psu test, it said I only needed a 250w psu). So what kind of card do you think I could get with that. Do I have to worry about needing a 400w +12:20a psu THAT much, or do you think I'll be fine with whatever card I get? I dont know if i want a new power supply when the one I have is great.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

Depending on the construction of your system, you may be able to "get by" with it - but do you really want to try? Especially if the manufacturer recommends a certain size?

I like this power supply calculator myself: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

#12 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

Yeah, thats a good calculator... For my current rig, it said I need a 203w psu. With an added nvidia 7800,(vid card company said it needs a 400w,12v:+20a), calc said I needed a 232w psu.

I think I will go with what the card says it needs though just to be on the safe side. (If I want to get anything that needs above 350w,+12:18a , I'll get a new psu) Thanks everyone

#13 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

You're power supply should be able to get by on a X700 or X1600, but the X800 is built on a 1.3 micron manufacturing process unlike the 1k series and the X700 and eats up more power with the faster memory and core.

256 GDDR3 will be muhc better then 512 GDDR2, as it will provide more bandwitdh and only the really high end cards such as the X1800 ( and higher ) and the 7800 ( and higher ) can really use 512MB effectively, 512 compared to 256 for cards like the 7600, or X1600 will only provide a little more "breathing room" for the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users