Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally typed ''Facebook.cm'', am I gonna get a virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ryuxxerino

Ryuxxerino

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

Hello everybody!
So yesterday I accidentally typed ''facebook.cm'' instead of ''com'', and it sent me to this weird website, then I tried to go facebook on the same page with ''cm'' and it wouldn't let me go there, so I simply closed the page. I started panicking and downloaded Comodo for a full pc analysis.
There was no signs of virus on my pc, but I'm still worried about this lol

You guys know anything about this?

Have a nice day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Did you try to login to the weird website with your facebook account details? If so log in to real facebook and immediately change your password. Otherwise you are probably ok. Domain squatting (crooks using a domain deliberately similar to a very widely used one, for example they might create pages like a bank's website but with a few characters different in the address) is common but as long as you didn't enter details you are probably ok. It is possible for malware to be on the fake domain, and some kinds can infect a computer without needing user interaction, others may create pop ups claiming that, for example, flash player needs updating and direct you to a site where you are tricked into downloading a virus pretending to be, for example, flash player, but as you have run a scan and found nothing infection is unlikely. You are probably ok. To be more sure you might try using malwarebytes, the free non-realtime scanner version can be downloaded from bleeping computer's downloads section or from https://www.malwarebytes.com/ this will give you a second opinion scan so you can be more confident that you are uninfected.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Ryuxxerino

Ryuxxerino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

No, I didn't put any passwords or emails on that website, I have scanned with MWB, Avast, AVG, nothing so far.
I don't get this paranoic on this stuff, but when I read about the ''.cm'' domains and that those were malicious, I just thought that entering a ''cm'' domain would instantly give me some sort of spyware or malware.
​Thanks alot tho!

Did you try to login to the weird website with your facebook account details? If so log in to real facebook and immediately change your password. Otherwise you are probably ok. Domain squatting (crooks using a domain deliberately similar to a very widely used one, for example they might create pages like a bank's website but with a few characters different in the address) is common but as long as you didn't enter details you are probably ok. It is possible for malware to be on the fake domain, and some kinds can infect a computer without needing user interaction, others may create pop ups claiming that, for example, flash player needs updating and direct you to a site where you are tricked into downloading a virus pretending to be, for example, flash player, but as you have run a scan and found nothing infection is unlikely. You are probably ok. To be more sure you might try using malwarebytes, the free non-realtime scanner version can be downloaded from bleeping computer's downloads section or from https://www.malwarebytes.com/ this will give you a second opinion scan so you can be more confident that you are uninfected.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

There are number of web resources (URL Link Scanners which can be used to check suspicious/unfamiliar sites or get second opinions.virustotal.com shows the site as suspicious or phishing by two security vendors.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 travolta133

travolta133

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:10 AM

I was curious to see what happens, I typed facebook.cm and it redirected to some other website. It was like a social networking website. However I closed it immediately. Taking precautionary measures is good step but I think it won't harm the pc unless you click any links on it.

#6 Kellysi

Kellysi

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:01 AM

I think you at least have the notion that something could happen I cannot laugh to paranoia because everywhere you turn its one scam after another, not that it doesnt exist in the real world, where you are able to gauge the situation by observing, here everything is more or less similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users