Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Change Any Setting in The desktop Bios

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DJBrendan

DJBrendan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:44 AM

Hello my name is brendan. I have a HP DC7900 form factor optiplex desktop pc. The problem i am having is when i turn on the pc and i tapp F10 to get into the bios i can go in the bios fine but when i go to a certain heading and scroll i cant even highlight or tap enter to move a heading. Like for example if i want to change the boot up mode from cd rom drive one and hdd second i am not able to do that. Now the mother board has a cmos reset button. I have taken out the cmos battery i have tapped the cmost reset switch on the board. I still cant edit anything in the bios would anyone know what the issue would be or does anyone thing my mother board is toast. I will say i have never come across this issue before at all. Its weird to me not been able to change any settings so yeah. Now i did try to use a bootable hirens boot cd and i went through all of the settings and that didnt do anything either. What other options do i have. I think maybe the cmos switch could be bad or a chip that i am not aware of where that chip is. If anyone does have any feed back can you get back to me thanks. Or if you dont understand my question or issue then ask me ok thanks all and have a good night and I hope all of you have a good thursday,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery...rather than just tzking it out for a few seconds/minutes.

Louis

#3 DJBrendan

DJBrendan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

Hello there louis thanks for the reply back. I have replaced the cmos battery 3 times with brand new ones. I have even left the pc off for 2 days. There is a reset switch on the motherboard that says cmos reset switch. It doesnt matter how i try to fix it. I can get into the bios i am just not able to highlight and change a boot order at all or even change the time to be correct. Maybe there is an issue with the board or cmos reset switch who knows. The pc is a hp dc7900 small forma factor optiplex desktop tower. Hope this info helps its just weird i cant edit or change anything in the bios

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

I am assuming you are using the arrow keys next to the numeric pad. If you press the num lock key if lit do the arrow keys on the numeric pad work?

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

I'm a little confused.  A dc7900 is a an HP product, optiplex is a Dell product.  For HP you have to read what is on the screen, making changes in the BIOS isn't always the most straight forward thing.

I'd also suggest updating to the current BIOS, something HP support would have you do before helping you.  It could be as simple as a bad BIOS update.

#6 DJBrendan

DJBrendan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Hello there John C thanks for the question or answer. So when i turn on the hp dc7900 optiplex dekstop tower i keep tapping the F10 to get into the bios. Once see the first part i tap enter then enter then enter and then it goes to english i tap enter again. When i get to the bios i see date and time i use the up and down arrows to move to the right heading. Now once i go to date and time i am not able to change the date or time because it will not let me high light it or make any changes at all. To me even though i could be smart with computers i have never came across this issue before of not been able to edit anything in a bios. I have tried so many different ways and to me thats why i am reaching out if anyone has any other ideas. Maybe i need a bios update but how in fact can i do that if i cant set the cd rom or dvd rom drive as 1 or make any changes in the bios so yeah.

Hello there John C thanks for the question or answer. So when i turn on the hp dc7900 optiplex dekstop tower i keep tapping the F10 to get into the bios. Once see the first part i tap enter then enter then enter and then it goes to english i tap enter again. When i get to the bios i see date and time i use the up and down arrows to move to the right heading. Now once i go to date and time i am not able to change the date or time because it will not let me high light it or make any changes at all. To me even though i could be smart with computers i have never came across this issue before of not been able to edit anything in a bios. I have tried so many different ways and to me thats why i am reaching out if anyone has any other ideas. Maybe i need a bios update but how in fact can i do that if i cant set the cd rom or dvd rom drive as 1 or make any changes in the bios so yeah.

I am assuming you are using the arrow keys next to the numeric pad. If you press the num lock key if lit do the arrow keys on the numeric pad work?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

If the machine boots into Windows you should be able to update the BIOS from there.  HP has supported updating the BIOS from inside of Windows for quite some time, so you shouldn't need to boot from the CD ROM drive.  If you did need to boot from the CD ROM drive you can press F8, I believe, when the machine is booting to get a boot menu.

Here is a link to the driver page for the DC7900 SFF.  I selected Windows 7 64-bit as the OS and verified that the BIOS can be flashed from within Windows.

Edited by Kilroy, 25 January 2018 - 12:55 PM.

#8 DJBrendan

DJBrendan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

Hello there kilroy sorry about the miss confusion but the desktop tower is a hp dc 7900 it says it right on the casing of the pc and also it says it on the mother board its a hp so yeah. Hello there Kilroy thanks for the question or answer. So when i turn on the hp dc7900 optiplex dekstop tower i keep tapping the F10 to get into the bios. Once see the first part i tap enter then enter then enter and then it goes to english i tap enter again. When i get to the bios i see date and time i use the up and down arrows to move to the right heading. Now once i go to date and time i am not able to change the date or time because it will not let me high light it or make any changes at all. To me even though i could be smart with computers i have never came across this issue before of not been able to edit anything in a bios. I have tried so many different ways and to me thats why i am reaching out if anyone has any other ideas. Maybe i need a bios update but how in fact can i do that if i cant set the cd rom or dvd rom drive as 1 or make any changes in the bios so yeah.

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

try hitting <CTRL> + <F10> or <CTRL>+<F11>  when entering the bios, sometimes hp has an advanced mode for bios editing and you have to use the control key at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users