Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost boot option on dual boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Hello all, I installed Manjaro 17.1 on a dual boot with Linux Mint 17.??.  Went well got things somewhat personalized.  I then decided to update/upgrade my kernel to the next in succession. After which when I rebooted I no longer had the option of booting into Mint.  So I reverted back to the older kernel version, rebooted again and still no Mint option... Is this fixable, and if so what do I need to do.

Thanks
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

Did you update grub?

sudo update grub

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

No, I updated it using Manjaro Settings Manager.  I did find an article: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/windows-entry-missing-from-grub-menu-after-kernel-update-with-msm/24075/3 and copied/pasted a command in the terminal (sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg), that brought back a working option to boot into Mint, but then gave me non-working options to boot into Mac OS X, which is NOT installed.  So...what next??

Thanks, Scott

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,036 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:35 AM

sudo update-grub

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:49 AM

sudo update-grub

+1! :thumbup2:

Works every time for me. :)

That is, as long as Manjaro supports that command, if not, there's an equivalent for most every Linux distro. Am sure there's some Manjaro users here who can verify.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

Well as of my last post, both options to boot into Legitimate OS installations work.  How can I get rid of the 3 options to boot into Mac OS X, since there is not MAC OS X?

So I guess, my question is how to edit the grub.

Thanks, Scott 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Use grub-customizer: https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

Well as of my last post, both options to boot into Legitimate OS installations work.  How can I get rid of the 3 options to boot into Mac OS X, since there is not MAC OS X?

So I guess, my question is how to edit the grub.

Thanks, Scott 

Have you tried

sudo update-grub

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

+1! :)

If 'sudo update-grub' doesn't clean up all of the leftover boot entries, then give this tool a shot. 

I had a reverse situation a couple of nights ago, booted into a live Linux Mint installer to delete Mint's entry after partitions were deleted, got rid of it in the UEFI at the same time, and was able to use other commands to get into (mount) the system partition and delete the Ubuntu folder. Rebooted and all traces of Linux Mint were gone. Am sure that with the Grub Customizer, what you desire to get rid of can be gone. Everything is right there, you decide what you want to keep and delete the rest. I have an older version, thought about using it, but was likely too old for UEFI usage. 

Noteworthy, if there's an Apple system partition (sorry, don't know how Apple works), you should be able to purge Apple leftovers (n the system partition) so that these won't appear again by updating Grub. Ideally, it would had been best ro wipe the entire drive, including resetting the hidden area with a partition tool, maybe you wanted to hang onto Mac OS for a spell before committing to Linux. Many folks does this as a fallback option, just like dual booting Windows. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:35 AM

I hang around at a lot of different Linux forums and I have heard many bad things about grub customizer. Here is a current thread, but for at least the last few years grub customizer has had a bad reputation. My personal experience was just so-so.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=261910

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 27 January 2018 - 06:36 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

As of the OP's last post, he still has not tried

sudo update-grub

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

I hang around at a lot of different Linux forums and I have heard many bad things about grub customizer. Here is a current thread, but for at least the last few years grub customizer has had a bad reputation. My personal experience was just so-so.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=261910

Same here, although wasn't trying to do the same as the OP. Was using to fix Grub when all I had to do was use the bootable Live distro & run a couple of commands. 

The Grub Customizer, even though I followed instruction, left me with two, maybe three Linux entries, although only one distro was installed & wiped out Recovery, which most distros picks up just fine. Can reload Windows via the Grub menu & have done so. :)

Although for some who knows how to use the tool well, may have better success than I did a couple of years back. I still prefer using the Live installer of the distro, a fast Google search can get one out of any jam. It did what I couldn't with Windows tools in getting Ubuntu out of the system partition. My guess would be that it would do the same for the Apple folder, as well as delete no longer used entries. Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark the page, if I had would had included with the instruction in my last post. It's all a mater of identifying the OS's no longer installed & remove, then clean up the system partition, reboot & everything is magically fixed, no harm done to the filesystem. Here's a little of what the article spoke of, although a lot broader than what I was looking for a couple of days ago. 

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

Cat 

#13 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

I did end up fumbling across the Grub Customizer, and it worked perfectly.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to assist me!!  

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

I did end up fumbling across the Grub Customizer, and it worked perfectly.

I knew it would.

You are welcome.

Regards

Nick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users