Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugged HDMI cable now computer does not work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lindafran

lindafran

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

I was trying to connect a desktop computer (7 years old) to a TV. I plugged in an HDMI cable then my mouse and keyboard stopped working. When I tried to restart the computer goes into reset windows mode. When I tried this it just attempts to reset but keeps going in a circle. It says reset failed. What happened here. Did the power supply go? Did the HDMI cable damage the computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

Computer specs? It's possible that something caused ESD and it damaged something.

#3 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Computer specs? It's possible that something caused ESD and it damaged something.

My computer is a Gateway with an I3, purchased in 2010. Does that help? 

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Helps a bit, as PSU is probably not best in class. Generally speaking, plugging HDMI cable should not break computer but everything is possible.

You have already tried without HDMI cable plugged in?

It's also possible that only Windows screwed itself. Try to boot with Live Linux DVD/USB stick and see if that works. If works, then it's probably just Windows issue.

#5 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

Helps a bit, as PSU is probably not best in class. Generally speaking, plugging HDMI cable should not break computer but everything is possible.

You have already tried without HDMI cable plugged in?

It's also possible that only Windows screwed itself. Try to boot with Live Linux DVD/USB stick and see if that works. If works, then it's probably just Windows issue.

I don't know much about the technical side of computers but I called a local repair tech and it appears the power supply needs to be replaced. I decided to buy another computer because the computer is 7 years old and the repair will be a minimum of $100. I will not plug the HDMI cable into the new computer though until I can be certain it's not the HDMI cable. I will try it on an old computer. 

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

OK. What kind of new computer you are planning to buy?

#7 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Lenovo desktop. I find this brand very well built, stable, reliable and a good price to value ratio. Responsive and good customer service. Plus 1 year free onsite tech warranty.

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2018 - 07:05 PM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

OK, OEM machines generally have quite good support compared to pre builts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users