Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 n3wk1d

n3wk1d

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Edition: Windows 10 Education N
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.19

3a978Cs.png

I have been having this problem for quite some time now and it's driving nuts. No matter how many times I click the Check for updates button, still it always give me that error above.

Sometimes when I click the button, it displays an Update downloading and installing but it will quickly disappear and displays that error again.

Below are the steps that I have already taken trying to fix the problem. DID NOT WORK

• I tried changing the Time zone to Pacific time (This is what other forums have suggested.)
  • I manually installed the latest Windows Defender virus definition from Microsoft's website. (Installed it multiple times and did manual restarts)
  • I downloaded and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Tried it multiple times and did manual restarts. It displayed that it fixed the problem saying that the root cause were the pending updates)
  • I downloaded and installed Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 - January 2018 (KB890830) from Microsoft Update Catalog website (I installed it multiple time and performed manual restarts)
  • Group policy setting for Windows Update is set to default
  • I tried Manual and Automatic setting for Windows Update Services

There were no any weird or noticeable things or changes that happened nor I have observed before and after this problem has occurred. Obviously, I think I have already ran out of options to remedy this problem. I was hoping that someone could help me fix this problem.

Thanks.

Edited by n3wk1d, 24 January 2018 - 06:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

From the screen shot that you provided, it sure looks like you are up to date.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 n3wk1d

n3wk1d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

From the screen shot that you provided, it sure looks like you are up to date.

What do you mean? But why does it say that it's out of date?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:43 AM

Your screen shot shows that your system is running version 1709 os build 16299.19. This is the latest version and build. Of course I do not know for sure all of the KB numbers that apply to Windows 10 Education N version, but from what you have posted it sure seems that your system is up to date.

Open up your Windows PowerShell (admin) and run a scan, sfc /scannow, this will show if there is anything wrong with your system.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 25 January 2018 - 04:43 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 n3wk1d

n3wk1d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

I followed the steps provided on the link that you gave and it did not return any errors or corrupted files issues. However, I was able to solve the problem by manually installing this update 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4073290).

#6 harry12

harry12

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

In the past few weeks most PC companies have been releasing Bios updates to compensate for Meltdown and Spectre.

You might want to check.  Also, you virus protection should be updated.  The major companies have done a registry

patch, which informs windows update your virus protection is current.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users