Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC Fan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Greetings!

So we just, yesterday to be exact, went out and bought a new PC fan for eleven bucks. Seeing to it the old case fan was rattling like crazy, and ultimately making insanely irritating noises, alongside poor airflow for most of the time.

The new fan we installed is working terrifically! Very quiet, and the airflow is great and consistent.

The only question I had regarding it was about preserving this new fan's lifespan. Right now it runs at full speed (I think?) for how ever long the computer is turned on for.

I'd most certainly like to make some changes as to making the fan run at full speed only when required. (Gaming? or something that creates more heat.)

Or, if a certain interior temperature has been reached.

Thanks for reading this! Also, I'd highly appreciate a good full-on tutorial if you'd request me to use something like SpeedFan, as I'd hate to break anything and be able to change it back with my knowledge xd

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

if it's running full speed all the time then it may be because the thermal bond between the cpu and the heat-sink is compromised.   first thing remove heat sink and clean old thermal paste off CPU chip & heat-sink.

now you need to add new thermal paste but just a pea sized amount, too much thermal paste can make a barrier between the CPU & heat-sink and will cause the same issue.

that should resolve your problem with the fan running at full speed.

#3 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not a computer genie, if you so will. Doing these things with the thermal paste is probably beyond my knowledge.

There are three fans in the case, excluding the fans on the GPU.

The new fan we just installed, that's positioned at the back of the case, seemingly runs at full speed all the time, which I fear may drain it too quickly.

The CPU's fan has been running at a solid speed for the past year or so, it hasn't died out on me yet.  Still looking great regarding that system.

Just wondered if there's a way to preserve the case fan's life. Thanks!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

if it's running full speed all the time then it may be because the thermal bond between the cpu and the heat-sink is compromised. 

If this was true it would be reflected in the Temps, so no need for extra work, the fan being incompatible more than likely the culprit.

Was the fan replaced with one with the same Part Number?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

the case fan on the back does it have 3 wires (red,black,yellow) or 2 wires (red & black).

if it's 2 wires then it's ok to run full speed because that how it's designed.  if it's 3 wires then the 3rd yellow wire is the speed sensing wire.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

Some but not all motherboards have "smart fan" control for case fans.  You'd need to have a look around in your BIOS - probably in the hardware monitoring/PC health sections of the BIOS (if present).  This may give the option to enable smart control.  Three pin fans can be speed controlled by varying the voltage to them (four pin use the more accurate PWM control, on compatible motherboards with 4 pin headers).  The trouble is not all motherboards have the ability to vary the voltage to the fans. 

One way around this is using a fan controller - which range from simple manual controllers like this to digital ones with temperature sensors that vary speed based on measured temperature.  Less flexible but cheaper options include wiring in a resistor to reduce the voltage.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Interesting info, thanks guys!

I could try messing around in my BIOS settings and try editing the fan settings, seeing that I do have this capability.

I tried using editing the fan settings on the old fan, but it didn't work at all noticeably. I presume it was the fan being old, and unresponsive, and simply not running 50% of the time.

And I do believe this fan has 3 wires on it, alongside a 3-pin connector. I'd have to double-check to make sure, though.

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

The only question I had regarding it was about preserving this new fan's lifespan. Right now it runs at full speed (I think?) for how ever long the computer is turned on for.

Most fans are rated to run for an amount of hours, I think most are better than 10,000 in which you should get more than a couple years out of. $11.00 is not very much per year cost, IMHO... not worth worrying about the life span for the amount of cost to replace. I have a more expensive Noctua fan, it is rated for 150,000 hours. Not worried about have it run all day and half the night.

Edit... just checked my box of Cooler Master 120mm case fans (a box of four fans for $12.00 on newegg) and those are rated @ 30,000  hours (about 4yrs for a $3.00 fan)

Edited by Joe C, 28 January 2018 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users