Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM Aptiva E3N Motherboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 calebO5

calebO5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

I just found an ibm aptiva e3n that is complete but without any of the packaging or extra things. I opened it up and found that it was very dusty and disorganized. So I organized all of the components in it but when I plugged it in it didn't boot up or display anything so I went back in and decided to change a few settings on the motherboard and I did but I also had t unplug the cables for the front to unscrew the motherboard completely and when I did put everything back into it I found that it wouldn't power on at all anymore. How can I fix this and what were the default settings for all of the motherboard settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

I think something may have happened when you were unscrewing the MB. If by settings you mean your BIOS settings removing the CMOS battery, if removable, and holding down the power button for 30 seconds will set the settings back to default. Remove the power cord when you do this and also ground yourself on some bare metal before removing the battery.

Edit: Is there a 4 digit model number on the back of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2018 - 04:29 PM.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

http://aptivasupport.com/aptiva.html

maybe you can find some help here.

#4 calebO5

calebO5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

I mean like the power button connector on the front of the case because I took out the motherboard and messed around with some stuff on it and now the power button won't work. Before it was working just fine but no display was coming out

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

we still need the model number, it should be on a white sticker that you can see when you open the sliding door on the front.

All Aptivas come with a small tag affixed to the tower/case that identifies
both the model and serial number of the unit. Even if the PC is not running
you can get this information from this tag.

id_tag.gif

IBM locates this tag in different locations on different models.

Edited by mightywiz, 25 January 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

It's on page 109 of this manual; but JP3 is for the power button:

http://greyghost.mooo.com/pccbbs/aptiva/20l2222.pdf

You do realize that puppy is 20+ years old, don't you?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 calebO5

calebO5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

I think something may have happened when you were unscrewing the MB. If by settings you mean your BIOS settings removing the CMOS battery, if removable, and holding down the power button for 30 seconds will set the settings back to default. Remove the power cord when you do this and also ground yourself on some bare metal before removing the battery.

Edit: Is there a 4 digit model number on the back of the computer?

I did change the battery on the mb but the power button won't work at all, no lights come one and no activity comes up. Now it doesn't work how can I fix this also?

#8 calebO5

calebO5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Also I cannot figure out what caused this. I did change some switches but now I change them back it still wont work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users