Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drive - Bitlocker Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jake33040

Jake33040

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

PC is a HP Pavilion running Windows 10 Professional.  Nothing special in configuration.

I have two external drives, both with BitLocker.  Both external drives contain some adult videos, downloaded from reputable sites.  No issues until about a month ago.  The PC started acting like it was possessed.  Program wouldn't open or close when the external drive was plugged in.  I scanned the PC with Norton and no issues.  Without an external drive plugged in, the PC is fine.  The other issues with the external drive is that some of the videos I downloaded have been replaced by videos that are very short and obviously ads for pay sites.

Can the external drives be compromised by a virus or malware?  The files are straight MP4's.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

100% YES!!!  Scan that drive!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Jake33040

Jake33040
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

This is getting stranger.  I scanned the external drive with both Norton and Malwarebytes.  Absolutely nothing found on either scan.

After scanning with Malwarebytes, I wasn't able to get out of the problem normally, I had to end task using task manager.

It's like the computer has a demon, but only while using the external drive.  Once you unplug it, everything seems fairly normal.  The computer itself scanned clean with both Norton and Malwarebytes also,

HELP!

Jake

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

Long shot but can you try another cable?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users