Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 - 1709 - Fall Creator - Reinstalling Daily after blocking and removal

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 infinityends

infinityends

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Starting a few days ago the 1709 Fall Creator Update keeps installing on my machine.

It breaks all networking and RDP.

I've rolled back the update. Set updates to defer. Set local group policy to business release, defer updates for the maximum length of time.

Set windows to only point to a local update server @ 127.0.0.1 and renamed the software distribution folder and created a new empty one. P2P update downloads are blocked as well.

Some how this F&%$ing update keeps re-installing even though it shouldn't have any access to download update files or any saved version of the installer. My only thought at this point to to roll back to over a week ago before the update first installed and/or completely delete the old software distribution folder's contents which I realize can be done, but has some inherent risks.

I've spent hours trying to find a solution and dealing with rolling back this garbage update 4-5 times that MS some how believes is ready for business environments. Someone at MS is smoking crack if they think this is ready for business.

Has anyone figured out how to keep this thing from installing over and over every day?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Hi,

What is the Windows 10 Edition you have?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 infinityends

infinityends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

Win 10 Pro x64

After once again dealing with this when I got home I also removed the Windows Upgrade folder from C:\

Then even with windows update service stopped and pointed to a fake wsus @ 127.0.0.1 windows upgrade popped up and started redownloading 1709. I killed the process mid way through and then edited the XML file to remove all weblinks pointing to MS download servers.

Unless I can find a better solution I think my next step will be to set a batch script to run once per minute to kill that windows upgrade process that I manually terminated this afternoon. That and/or explicitly denying system access rights to the WindowsUpgrade folder on C:\ although I've never tried denying access to system on a folder because the need has never arisen, so I have no clue if there is built in protection on windows to disallow that from happening to any folder as the system theoretically needs access to folders in order to display them to a user.

I understand Microsoft wanting to have a method to ensure updates are installed by users to avoid security issue. But if they can't fix the numerous known problems in a release 3-4 months after it launched I can't fathom why they decided it was ready for the business release channel and started to force the upgrade for any non domain joined machine.

I've been wanting to setup a small ESXi server at home anyway, so this may end up being the tipping point on finally doing that so I can setup a DC and join my machine to it and avoid dealing with garbage updates.

FWIW, although I don't think it should matter.

Asus Maximus Hero VI Mobo

i7 4790k

Nvidia 1060 gtx

Asus PCE-68AC Wireless card

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Not sure it will help. People with Windows 10 Pro have reported being updated to 1709 even with Feature Update delay set to 365 days. 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3247754/microsoft-windows/reports-say-win10-creators-update-users-are-being-forced-to-fall-creators-update-again.html

Some small business admins had 1709 installed on systems where they thought they had pushed off the update for several months. Microsoft acknowledged that the 1703 version may receive the 1709 feature update when you are not expecting it. They promised to fix the issue in an upcoming update. I personally think the issue is selecting to defer the feature update in the GUI is not “sticking.” If you use the local group policy to push off the feature update that seems to be sticking.

Welcome to Windows 10 as a service.  :crazy: I can't imagine what happens with the two upgrades scheduled for 2018.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#5 infinityends

infinityends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, while I'm not on a domain I've still set a defer of 365 days in local policy editor and it still is ignoring it.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

Time to look at Linux  ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

AFAIK there is no policy to block the installation (only delay) of new Windows versions, what Microsoft call Feature Updates! I think only Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 LTSB will not do the Feature updates.

Edited by SleepyDude, 25 January 2018 - 04:21 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 infinityends

infinityends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Well.... When I connected to my machine this morning. It launched and started trying to download the update again. I once again killed the process and then set deny folder access to system for the WindowsUpgrade folder.

I'm guessing it will just create a separate folder or auto-correct permissions on me or something.

#9 infinityends

infinityends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

I may have SORT OF found a SOLUTION. I blocked "Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" in local group policy. So far the re-download of the updater hasn't launched the couple of times I tested it when logging into my machine and I obviously can't manually start the exe myself.

Hopefully this will be a decent work around until Microsoft releases a non bug filled version of the fall creator update.

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

I had this same problem with RDP after 1709. My workaround was to use the MS Store RDP app instead. It works fine.

7581204627.png

#11 infinityends

infinityends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Good to know about RDP. Although it would only be a partial solution since my main machine is my MacBook and both versions of RDP on the App Store had the same connection issue. The bigger problem is that the machine loses networking, and I couldn't even open the network adapters window.

#12 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Hi, feature updates can be disabled using a registry mod, we use this on some special test machines and have no problems. To revert to normal feature updates, you need to only delete the value keys in these mod's.

Go to search and type:-  command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy each of these cmd's separately and right click to paste into the prompt, press enter after each cmd, you will see a success message. You should do a restore point before doing this in case you want to revert just to be safe.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate"

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v DisableOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f 

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade"

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v AllowOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f 

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:30 AM

With Creators Update, Microsoft has made it a little easier to control updates in Windows 10.

If you are running Windows 10 Creators Update (1703), you can delay security updates for up to 30 days. Likewise, you can defer feature updates to 365 days.

As always, these new update settings are exclusive to Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions. You might not see these options on Windows 10 Home edition.

1. Open Settings app. Navigate to Update & security and then Windows Update.

2. Under Update settings section, click Advanced options link. This action will open Advanced update options page.

3. Under Choose when updates are installed section, there are three options:

a) Choose the branch readiness level to determine when feature updates are installed

B) A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements.

c) A quality update includes security improvements.

The second option allows you delay feature updates up to 365 days. You  can choose any number between 1 and 365 from the drop-down box.

Posted Image

#14 infinityends

infinityends
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

With Creators Update, Microsoft has made it a little easier to control updates in Windows 10.

If you are running Windows 10 Creators Update (1703), you can delay security updates for up to 30 days. Likewise, you can defer feature updates to 365 days.

As always, these new update settings are exclusive to Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions. You might not see these options on Windows 10 Home edition.

1. Open Settings app. Navigate to Update & security and then Windows Update.

2. Under Update settings section, click Advanced options link. This action will open Advanced update options page.

3. Under Choose when updates are installed section, there are three options:

a) Choose the branch readiness level to determine when feature updates are installed

B) A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements.

c) A quality update includes security improvements.

The second option allows you delay feature updates up to 365 days. You  can choose any number between 1 and 365 from the drop-down box.

As stated in previous posts, this does not work. Windows completely ignores these settings.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

I have delayed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709), 365 days with those settings i don't have answer for you on why it does not work for you.

How to delay the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Using Group Policy

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users