Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a newer gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

So early last year I mentioned planning on upgrading my Ibuycomputer with a new mother/mainboard, graphics, CPU, and ram. I decided against it as I thought the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 and no installation CD. Turns out, I do have the installation CD after looking through the stuff the CDs and documentation that came with the computer hehe. So now I am reconsidering buying the individual parts needed to upgrade my computer instead of buying a whole new computer. You can check my profile for my current specs but I plan to keep the case, hard drive, and the CD drive though if my current case cannot support liquid cooling then I will get a new case if need be.

For CPU I wish to buy an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or 1600x msi brand, for graphics the Radeon Rx 560 4gb msi brand, for ram I would like to get two 8gb ram sticks for a total of 16gb g.skill brand likely. As for motherboard, I have no real opinion as long as it is compatible with these components. I would also keep my current power supply if it is strong enough.  Any suggestions? Oh and my current gaming PC is now 3 years old so I can update it.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 24 January 2018 - 01:47 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Actually hold out another month or so, right now GPU prices are astronomical and newer processors are due quite soon.

Better off waiting for Ryzen 2 which will offer APU options just in case the GPU crisis goes into late February.

Its insane as even entry level GPU's have been made impossible to obtain, unless you are going to get a used GPU its not going to be good building a machine right now.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 January 2018 - 01:57 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

The new Ryzen will be an APU? I like the idea behind APU's but heard they are not that great for gaming. But if the prices are bad right now then I will wait.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 24 January 2018 - 02:31 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Yeah APU's are typically not great for gaming

Unless you already have a GPU its a waste of time right now

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

Well the current one I have is decent, but if I wish to play any "blockbuster" games with high demands later this year or next I will be out of luck. I can still play many current games with no lost of speed though.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 24 January 2018 - 04:06 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

Yeah so either way its not going to pay off (yet)

Again just wait, its just a bad time to get anything right now.

When even the entry level GPU's like the 1050Ti are going to cost $500 (yes I have seen it happen) then its time to give up on anything until this inanity ends.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but from scuttle but a good 4 core saying mores cores don not add much that and a very good GPU is what is needed for most all gaming.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

The new Ryzen will be an APU? I like the idea behind APU's but heard they are not that great for gaming. But if the prices are bad right now then I will wait.

The new Ryzen (Zen+) processors are not just APU's, but traditional also CPU's.  That said, AMD will offer APU variants in February.  The new Zen+ CPU's should be available sometime in April.  Here is a link.  Depending on the games you play, an APU may be helpful, but you may not have the horsepower to run modern games at a high framerate or with all the graphics turned up.  Make sure your RAM is as fast as you can get with APU's, they seem to prefer faster memory.

3939.png

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Well if it is one good thing about the new Ryzen APU's is that they will use AMD's vega as the basis.

The 2400G will be a very good budget gaming option capable of 1080p gaming and will be way better than any intel offering, sure processor wise it will be weaker but the trade off will pay off if GPU prices continue to be as high as they are now.

Granted it will never be as good as having a dedicated GPU but at this stage with prices being as insane as they are on parts then I say screw it and just stick to the APU until things calm down or the next GPU generation comes out.

The 2400G will still be a great processor overall compared to its intel counterpart even when GPU prices normalize, the Ryzen  platform is also very upgradable at this state so no worries.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Yes I remember reading years ago that the power of an APU's graphic and processor will rely heavily on very fast ram with DDR 3 or 4 and speeds over 2000 recommended. I am fine with not playing games on max graphics and just do not want any lag. My current rig can play many modern and older games on high with out any trouble such as Stellaris, CK II, TES V: Skyrim, TES: Online, FF XIV (According to game debate's analysis), and others. 

I mainly play RPGs, strategies, simulations, and online games and those tend to have lower graphic requirements besides a small few. Regardless, even if I consider buying the Raven Ridge 2400G, I will still get a dedicated graphics card later on down the line as there will be games coming out this year and next with high requirements that I will want to play.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 26 January 2018 - 01:54 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#11 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

I can still buy the other components and just wait to see what happens to the GPU market. I decided against Ryzen 5 2400g as, while it is more powerful than my current AMD FX 6300 cpu, it is still weaker than the Ryzen 5 1600 and the x version. The integrated graphics is also weaker than my current MSI Radeon R7 370 3gb graphics card as well. I may buy the other components and stick with my current graphics card as most motherboard's pci slots are backwards compatible.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#12 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hmm in fact I will wait till this the 2500g is released. Some people are quite optimistic in saying it can equal a Rx 550 or 570 in power with dual channel ram and a good cooler. I will still keep my graphics though.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 01 February 2018 - 10:31 AM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

Yeah its actually ggoing to be ptretty good for a APU blowing any inrtel APU out of the water.

If this mining crap keeps up it may be the only real way to game on a budget until GPU's come again

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 January 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Well I do see some Rx 560 cards going for about $150 or so. Could buy that with the 2400g and the 560 is not bad and if i recall is low-tier whereas a 550 is entry-tier. 570 and 580 are middle-tier which is where I usually like to be unless I can get a deal on a high-tier card like one of the Vega.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 01 February 2018 - 10:33 AM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users