Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Fall Creators update stops; complains of an incompatible program

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 artwolf

artwolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:15 AM

Update to Creators (Win10 Home) fails every time, saying that I have AVG 7.0 installed. It can't uninstall it, I must do that manually. I don't have that program. I have:

1. uninstalled every AVG program I could find (still gives error) (note: reboots between everything)

2. Run AVG's Completely Remove AVG program (twice!) (still gives error)

3. Made sure there were no startup programs even remotely linked to AVG (still gives error)

4. Manually searched the registry and deleted every reference to AVG (there were only a few left over) (still gives error)

5. Manually switched off every startup program (still gives error)

6. Disabled all non-Microsoft services (they are still off until I figure this out). 

7. I also ran some command line checks, but I can't find what they were now.

8. Based on some info found in a tech help website, I finally found a hidden folder called Panther, and found a recent log file called setupact.log (it is very large). I searched it for the term AVG, and found two entries the said, "Manual uninstall required for avgw.exe" followed by random characters. I have searched both the C: drive and the registry for avgw.exe and the random characters, and neither were found.

I have also run Windows 10 Update Assistant and Windows Update Troubleshooter several times. I am at my wits end. I don't know what else to do. Is there some switch to allow updates even though a program is incompatible? Is there somewhere I am not looking? I have over 9 hours in troubleshooting this, over the course of a month or so. I can't keep spending time messing with it.

Is there a log file somewhere that would give me a path to where this mysterious program is being found?

Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

The only other thing I could suggest as a quick thing to try, and try carefully, is using something like Revo Uninstaller to try to rid yourself of whatever vestige of AVG seems to be hiding out there.

Also, how are you doing the update?  Is it coming through Windows Update, are you using the Update Assistant on the Win10 Download Page, or are you using the ISO file to update?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Sometimes AutoRuns can find an entry you missed. Run the program as admin and do a search for either AVG or avast. Avast purchased AVG and the later updates may have an avast service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

avg has a tool for removing  &cleaning

https://share.avg.com/steam/PSP/AVG2017/AVG_Clear.exe

#5 infinityends

infinityends

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

FYI - Don't worry about it.

The Fall Creators Update has TONS of issues, networking breaks, remote desktop is messed up.

It keeps reinstalling on me even though I've done everything I can think to block it and it is completely screwing up my machine, be glad that it is failing to install.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

Have you tried Revo Uninstaller and/or Autoruns as recommended?

Not knowing what you have tried, check out https://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/avgw.exe.html

--- I haven’t used anything from neuber.com so I recommend please be caeful on how it will do whatever you select to do.

On the "Manual uninstall required for avgw.exe", it might be because the AVG suite wasn’t properly uninstalled. Removing related Registry items for any program isn’t a good idea without knowing if that’s the way to go. The reason the “AVG's Completely Remove AVG program” doesn’t work is most likely because it’s designed to do it’s job with the complete package. If AVG 7.0 is an older version and is incompatible it probably has been but wasn’t obvious until a major update such as the Fall Creators Update.

Have you used AVG 7.0 in the past? If so were there any issues in using it?

Please run winver and let us know what version you are running.

What security package are you running?

#7 reidman

reidman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

Been having this same issue with multiple computers, with 1709 and now 1803 says remove AVG but the computers dont have AVG and never have, removed Antivirus they do have and it still says AVG installed, checked registry auto runs everything no avg reference anywhere. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

The only thing I can think of is either some AVG file was installed along with some other software or Windows 10 sees a AVG file in a factory reset partition if it's on the drive. 

Use Everything and do a search for avast or AVG. Make sure to unhide hidden files and show system files in your explorer settings.

https://www.voidtools.com/

Download Regscanner and do a search for avg or avast. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 May 2018 - 10:22 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

And, if push comes to shove after trying to locate what's at the root of this issue and being unsuccessful, consider:

1. Taking a full system image backup of your existing system.

2. Taking a separate backup of all user data files, including those under the Public folders if you use them.

3. Taking an inventory of the software you're using with Belarc Advisor, or similar, and collecting the installers for same.

4. Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10, reloading your user data, and reinstalling whatever programs you're really using on a regular basis.

Definitely see if you can find "the thing" that's blocking the update, but if that cannot be done in a reasonably timely manner you have to consider how much effort you want to put into that rather than just starting over again from scratch which allows you to know that you have a brand, spankin' new Windows 10 installation without any hidden "bombs" in it, such as this one.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Just as an outside chance, look for Grisoft in the registry. That is the company name they used to run under around the time of AVG 7..

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

Just as an outside chance, look for Grisoft in the registry. That is the company name they used to run under around the time of AVG 7..

Good catch!   I was actively using AVG on all of my machines during that era, but never even thought of this.  This could make the difference between locating the culprit and not.

I also have to wonder if any of the machines under discussion were "well used" Windows 7 machines later upgraded to Windows 10.  I have found that, over time, upgrade after upgrade, particularly on machines that had sketchy maintenance, eventually uncovers something that's been deeply hidden, and that sometimes is very difficult (if not impossible) for the owner to actually locate using the usual tools for doing so.   It's not like it's common, exactly, but I've seen it happen enough to declare that after doing reasonable due diligence, and no solution is found, to recommend a completely clean install of Windows 10.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users