Update to Creators (Win10 Home) fails every time, saying that I have AVG 7.0 installed. It can't uninstall it, I must do that manually. I don't have that program. I have:
1. uninstalled every AVG program I could find (still gives error) (note: reboots between everything)
2. Run AVG's Completely Remove AVG program (twice!) (still gives error)
3. Made sure there were no startup programs even remotely linked to AVG (still gives error)
4. Manually searched the registry and deleted every reference to AVG (there were only a few left over) (still gives error)
5. Manually switched off every startup program (still gives error)
6. Disabled all non-Microsoft services (they are still off until I figure this out).
7. I also ran some command line checks, but I can't find what they were now.
8. Based on some info found in a tech help website, I finally found a hidden folder called Panther, and found a recent log file called setupact.log (it is very large). I searched it for the term AVG, and found two entries the said, "Manual uninstall required for avgw.exe" followed by random characters. I have searched both the C: drive and the registry for avgw.exe and the random characters, and neither were found.
I have also run Windows 10 Update Assistant and Windows Update Troubleshooter several times. I am at my wits end. I don't know what else to do. Is there some switch to allow updates even though a program is incompatible? Is there somewhere I am not looking? I have over 9 hours in troubleshooting this, over the course of a month or so. I can't keep spending time messing with it.
Is there a log file somewhere that would give me a path to where this mysterious program is being found?
Please help. Thanks.