Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alcatel Android Phone Shuts Off Randomly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 faye raye

faye raye

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:08 AM

I have a year-old Alcatel OneTouch phone, and lately it has been having a very annoying problem where it will just suddenly power down.

It has done this, for example, with battery at 70, 50, and 39%. When you turn it on again, it will vary, sometimes it will be where it was,sometimes it will be very low at like 2%.

There's another, identical phone from 2015, that has since had its charging prong broken completely off, and I swap the fully charged battery between them to use the broken phone. Whether it's using the 2015 or year-old battery, that broken phone never has this issue, so I assume that means neither are the cause of the main phone's shut-offs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

I have a year-old Alcatel OneTouch phone, and lately it has been having a very annoying problem where it will just suddenly power down.

It has done this, for example, with battery at 70, 50, and 39%. When you turn it on again, it will vary, sometimes it will be where it was,sometimes it will be very low at like 2%.

There's another, identical phone from 2015, that has since had its charging prong broken completely off, and I swap the fully charged battery between them to use the broken phone. Whether it's using the 2015 or year-old battery, that broken phone never has this issue, so I assume that means neither are the cause of the main phone's shut-offs.

From my experience it's usually a software issue. There's either a hiccup in the operating system or an application is taking over. Since most phones use software to determine battery percentage and usage, it's very easy to have a battery go haywire if there a small glitch.

My recommendation is to wipe the phone clean. Pop it into your computer and pull off any important photos/videos/documents and then do a factory reset on the phone.

You said it's a OneTouch, do you know the model? Is it an Idol X or an A392, etc?

Edited by C0bra, 24 January 2018 - 01:23 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

On the battery and on the inside of the phone it only seems to say Alcatel OneTouch. It was made in Nov 2014.

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

There should be a white sticker in behind the battery. It should have something like "Alcatel A392" as an example. Wiping it will be somewhat similar, unless it happens to be the flip phone OneTouch, but I'll include some generic reset steps that may help. 

If it's a smartphone...

In Settings, there should be a setting called Backup and Reset, then select Factory data reset.

Picture1.pngPicture2.png

If it's the flip phone go to this site and follow the step by step interactive guide...

**Note: Doing this will erase all of your data on the phone. You'll want to make sure everything is backed up on your computer before going ahead.

nIDwkQT.gif

#5 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

On the startup screen, I saw it was an Echo2.

#6 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

On the startup screen, I saw it was an Echo2.

Echo 2 doesn't sound like an Alcatel model I know. Like I said above, if it's a smartphone those steps should still work. If they don't and the operating system looks much different then maybe peruse through this list of current Alcatel One Touch phones and try to pick out yours.

Edited by C0bra, 25 January 2018 - 01:55 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

#7 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Oops, I mean Evolve2..! As I currently don't have a working PC, is there any other method I could try to fix this issue?

#8 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Nope.

It needs a software reset. Youll either have to deal with it, or lose all your data or find a PC to back it up to.

nIDwkQT.gif

#9 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy. The phone didn't come with its own SD card, but there's one in it which it uses as its main storage. Would it need to be in for the reset or could I take it out and put it back in afterward?

#10 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

You can take the SD out, it doesnt make any difference. The SD card shouldnt get wiped by a reset.

nIDwkQT.gif

#11 resa70

resa70

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

i think you must reset or flash yours phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users