Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Lag

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andersson

Andersson

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:14 PM

Hi, I have a new problem and I was hoping someone around here maybe has had similar problems or know anything about how to fix it.

The thing is that I get this small mouse lag, it is only noticable if I do really small movements with the cursor. It's not a game specific thing, but also consists when I'm only using Windows.

I've tried changing hardware acceleration and removing autostart programs without result, I also have the latest drivers for both mouse and GFX card (I've also tried roll back on the GFX car drivers, didn't help). I have even tried switching mouse completely, but still the same problem.

My speccs are:

CPU: Intel pentium 4 - 2,66 Ghz
RAM: 1,25 GB
GFX: Nvidia GeForce 7600GS
Mouse: Logitech G5

Windows XP Professional SP2

Please help!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

What surface are you using the mouse on? IS it on a mouse mat or a shiny surface? I have a cordless mouse that is perfect for minute movements and i only use a thin bit of card for the lazer to work the movements. Does yours have a ball under it, if so the ball might be mucky or the rollers inside the mouse get clogged up with dirt.

#3 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

I'm using an allsop mouse pad (looks like your standard one) and a G5 Laser ("gaming mouse") from Logitech. (as mentioned I've tried using another mouse but the problem persisted).

My brother has the same mouse and the same pad and it works fine for him, that's what is so strange.

#4 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:04 AM

I've also tried using a variety of cards and smooth cardboard papers now, as well as nothing at all. But it didn't help.

I have no idea why it's like this, I'm guessing something with the PC is wrong, since I've tried both a new mouse and a new surface. But I have no idea what it could be.

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

Try this: Start menu/ control panel/ mouse/ pointer settings. You can change the speed of the mouse etc in this folder. HTH

#6 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I crossed the box for "enhance pointer precision" (roughly translated from swedish), but it didn't help. Neither did slowing the cursor down.

#7 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

It's like the cursor rather moves vertical and horizonal than diagonal.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

Some other ideas you might try:

Connect the mouse to your computer by using a different USB port or PS2 port. To do this, use one of the following methods:
If the USB cable for your mouse is currently connected to a USB hub, disconnect the device from the hub, and then connect it to a USB port on your computer.
If your device is already connected to a USB port on your computer, try to connect the device to a different USB port, if one is available.
If your device is connected to a PS/2 port on your computer, make sure that the USB plug for your mouse is connected to the green USB-to-PS/2 adaptor and that this adaptor is plugged into the mouse PS/2 port on your computer. The mouse PS/2 port on your computer may also be green. If you are not sure which PS/2 port is the mouse PS/2 port, see the documentation that came with your computer.
If you have to make changes to your configuration, shut off your computer, make the changes, and then restart your computer. If your mouse has both USB and PS/2 connections, try using the other type of connection. For example, if you are using the USB port, try connecting the mouse to the PS/2 connection instead.
For optical mouse devices, try using a different mouse surface or mouse pad. Test the mouse pointer by using a sheet of white paper instead of a mouse pad.
Reduce the graphics hardware acceleration setting in Microsoft Windows. To do this, follow these steps:
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
1. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
3. Click the Troubleshoot tab.
4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider until it is one notch to the right of None. This setting disables all but the basic accelerations.
5. Click OK two times.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:48 AM

Do you notice any other anomalies with the pc?

You might want to try some of the solutions here:

Slow Computer Checklist
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users