Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I may have killed my laptop's GPU - GTX 870m not detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bobbydarin

bobbydarin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

Hey,

Yesterday, I unfortunately spilled some water on my laptop, near the front grille. There was barely any water left in the cup so I wasn't worried, but I unplugged my laptop just in case and as I did that the display died instantly while my laptop remained on.

I restarted into BIOS to check everything, and lo and behold, my GPU wasn't being detected anymore and the display was running on integrated graphics.

I'm guessing some of the water slipped through the cracks and must've gotten onto the graphics card. Again, nothing happened until I unplugged the thing, so I removed the battery when everything was dry but still had no success. I tried to reinstall drivers just in case but NVIDIA couldn't detect the hardware.

What should I do? I don't really know much about hardware, and to have a look at the actual motherboard I need to remove a bunch of stuff first. The chip is soldered onto the motherboard anyway so I'm guessing that would be fruitless. Am I best taking it to a repair store to get it looked at or am I screwed?

The laptop in question is an MSI Ghost GS60, and the graphics card is an NVIDIA GTX 870m. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, so my warranty has expired. No other components were affected.

Many thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

When you get one wet the power and battery should be removed immediately, then left to try for a day or two even then it is a cross your finger thing.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

and turn it on it's side so water can drain to the outside of the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users