Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD not seen by laptop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 joe2k1

joe2k1

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

I have a Dell Inspirion 1545 where I am trying to upgrade the WD mechnical hard drive to Samsung EVO SSD. Sadly, I cannot get it to see the SSD drive at all. This laptop is older. I started by updating the bios from A05 to A14. I was hopeful this might add some helpful options but sadly it made no difference. I haven't much on google. Any other ideas? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

Did you read the directions?  Did you use the transfer software?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

On that Dell, hitting F2 while the Dell logo is on the screen will get you into the BIOS setup so you can check that it is detected properly.  You do realize; though, that virtually every new drive is completely blank and won't boot until you install Windows or, as OldPhil asked, use the transfer software.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

You have to initialize the drive before windows can use it, do this in the Controls Panel via the Administrative tools| Computer Management| Disk Management

Edited by Joe C, 24 January 2018 - 10:26 AM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

If you use the Samsung transfer disk it preps the drive and moves the entire contents of the old drive to the SSD.  Then and only then will it work in your lap top.  If you intend on loaded the drive with a fresh copy of the OS then it needs to be set up in manage, very easy operation.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone your comments. I missed some important details as this was a late night post. The Dell Inspiron Laptop has a dualboot of Windows Vista and Ubuuto.  I did use the Samsung migration tool which did not detect the drive under Windows Vista. Sadly the Samsung Magician is not supported under Windows Vista. I used a USB 3 Vantec SATA enclosure drive with the Samsung SSD loaded. I tried the same procedure on a modern i5 PC with Windows 10. I was successful in seeing the drive under the both pieces of Samsung software (magician and the migration tool) but only when I plugged the drive into the serial ata ports on the motherboard, not using my Vantec SATA enclosure. I ended up using the disk management tools under that same Windows 10 i5 PC. I was able to "initailize" the SSD! After all this I was happy to see the drive is fully detected. I made it bootable for modern operating systems. I selected NTFS. I decided not to assign a drive letter. At this point I added the drive back into the Dell Inspirion (removing the mechanical drive) where I loaded a setup iso from Ubuntoo and Minto (yes both Linux based operating systems) where the SSD was not seen but either installer. What's the goal? TO use the SSD in this Dell Inspiron. At this point it seems its this SSD is too modern for this model of laptop. Any comments?

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

1) That Inspiron 1545 does not have any USB3 ports so it is quite possible that a USB3 adapter might not work on it, at all.

2)  If (!!!) you went into the BIOS (F2 in my previous post), and the Samsung does not appear as an installed device, then there may be an issue with compatibility between the SATA3 controller on the Samsung and the SATA2 controller in the laptop.  Short of that, all you have proven is that the Samsung works in another PC and that whatever has been done to the partitions on the Samsung don't work with your Ubuntu or Mint.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

If the USB adapter is this one then it's backward compatible with USB 2.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

Yes; but, USB2 has completely different power maximums and I have seen more than one USB3 device that hated a USB2 port.

#10 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

Again thanks for your response. The BIOS does not display any hard drive information on the Dell Inspiron. Sorry that I did not mention this previously. Again when I connected the drive to that modern i5 PC, you could see the entry within the BIOS. Perhaps I should initialize with different choices. Any hints on this process? 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

How thick is the HDD vs the SSD. Is the HDD 9.5mm while the SSD is 7mm? If the drive does not have a caddy you may need to shim the drive with paper in order to properly connect to the motherboard. Even with the caddy, make sure the SSD connector is attached. Some SSD companies provide shims.

https://superuser.com/questions/375543/will-a-7mm-ssd-fit-in-a-9-5mm-laptop-hdd-slot/375550

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-7mm-9-5mm-Spacer-Adapter/dp/B014LQM6I2

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 January 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#12 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

You are correct, the SSD is 7mm in thickness. I am going to assume, I need to ensure the SSD height is increase to 9mm with the use of folded paper added to the caddy holding the SSD.  I guess this might explain why the SSD is not detected as its not making a solid connection with the serial ata port. 

Here is another scenario to solve the issue. This model has a DVD drive. It looks like it uses a special caddy to the hold the DVD drive. 

Once again thanks for your speedy response. 

How thick is the HDD vs the SSD. Is the HDD 9.5mm while the SSD is 7mm? If the drive does not have a caddy you may need to shim the drive with paper in order to properly connect to the motherboard. Even with the caddy, make sure the SSD connector is attached. Some SSD companies provide shims.

https://superuser.com/questions/375543/will-a-7mm-ssd-fit-in-a-9-5mm-laptop-hdd-slot/375550

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-7mm-9-5mm-Spacer-Adapter/dp/B014LQM6I2

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

If the DVD drive is like the one in the below video it's a standard slimline DVD drive. Some slimlines are slightly different. You would need to check the model number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQ4JMsLtuA

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdell+1545+dvd+drive.TRS0&_nkw=dell+1545+dvd+drive&_sacat=0

#14 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

After some trial error with some expired library cards, scissors, plus masking tape - I was able to make a shim. The drive was recognized. Once again many thanks! 

If the DVD drive is like the one in the below video it's a standard slimline DVD drive. Some slimlines are slightly different. You would need to check the model number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQ4JMsLtuA

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdell+1545+dvd+drive.TRS0&_nkw=dell+1545+dvd+drive&_sacat=0

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

Your Welcome, glad that sorted it out. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you are going to be booting Vista make sure you have the hotfix for 512e drives.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2510009/microsoft-support-policy-for-4k-sector-hard-drives-in-windows

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 January 2018 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users